Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Vent

Hi All.

I'm new to this forum. I just moved in to this house. I thought that the laundry vent looked strange. I was hoping someone could tell me if this laundry drain was vented properly, or do I need to call someone.
    I've attached a pic.(I think) The pipe in the foreground is 1.5" to a sanitary tee. going into a 2" drain. I hope I explained this right.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Laundry Vent

Can't vent it that way here but.... should be ok. You having problems?

J.C.

Comment

WHOA , Am I looking at a 2" stand pipe with NO trap! And what's the height?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Look behind it. tool-it has a trap at the bottom. Are you having some sort of problem?

J.C.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Aggravating people.

J.C.

Comment

Why does it look strange to you ?

Comment

IPC, it's perfectly legal.
              sigpic

Comment

i would use a wye and 1/8th bend or combo instead of the san tee

Comment

Originally posted by Jackapatt View Post
                  Hi All.

I'm new to this forum. I just moved in to this house. I thought that the laundry vent looked strange. I was hoping someone could tell me if this laundry drain was vented properly, or do I need to call someone.
                  I've attached a pic.(I think) The pipe in the foreground is 1.5" to a sanitary tee. going into a 2" drain. I hope I explained this right.
                  Thanks in advance.
                  Heya Jack from a fella Bostonian ...it's fine.
                  The 2" drain is in fact very good, our code only requires 1-1/2" for a laundry.

The distance from trap to vent has to be 2 times the diameter plus 2 converted from inches to feet.

In other words, 2 times 2" plus 2 equals 6'.

That vent is well within 6'...the ONLY thing I could pick at is the Tee-wye on it's back..it really should have been a wye + eighth bend (combo wye).

Most inspectors wouldn't really pick at that though.

Good luck with the new home...you picked an EXCELLENT time to buy in Boston.
                  Last edited by DuckButter; 10-04-2008, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. No I'm not having a problem, I just don't wan't one.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      IPC, it's perfectly legal.
                      With that long of a tailpiece?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        With that long of a tailpiece?
                        I think you meant standpipe, no more thaN 28" on a laundry here.
                        24" on everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Look behind it. tool-it has a trap at the bottom. Are you having some sort of problem?

J.C.
                          YES I AM,I'M STUPID! Just saw the clean out plug on the trap! You don't see them here much.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

[QUOTE=DuckButter;180291]Heya Jack from a fella Bostonian ...it's fine.
                            The 2" drain is in fact very good, our code only requires 1-1/2" for a laundry.

The distance from trap to vent has to be 2 times the diameter plus 2 converted from inches to feet. If code back there is 1 1/2" , do You still go 2" for a better performing drain!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              YES I AM,I'M STUPID! Just saw the clean out plug on the trap! You don't see them here much.
                              The question was not directed at you at all. Just the OP.

Here the IPC interpretation is:

Laundry box 35" above the finished floor.

Minimum 24" drop to trap weir. Maximum 48".

No san. T's on their back or horizontal drainage period.

NO DRILLING HORIZONTAL OVER 1.5" PIPE. Regardless of live/dead load or double studding. Pretty much kills your trap on the topside. Don't go moving studs too much either.

I forget the distance required from a san. tee vent to the trap outlet. 2 times something another. Basically 6" or more.

No trap on exterior wall without 6" wall/insulation.

Vent within 6'. Drain branch must be increased to 3" within 6' or less.

Need primer.

I still want to see all of this ran through clear pipe with all the measurements out of range to see if the trap siphons.

J.C.
                              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-05-2008, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X