X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fernco in drains

Customer bought a new/old house. The tub drains from copper or brass, I didn't look closely, to a PVC trap. The trap is joined to the tub drain by a fernco then PVC to the sewer pipe. The fernco leaks on the end where it attaches to the tub drain. I didn't mess with it because the plumbing is new. I told them to call the plumber who installed it and I am sure they will. I don't recall ever seeing a frenco in a drain in a basement. Is it common? It sure looks like second rate work.

Also the end of the trap that leads to the sewer is higher than the end where the water enters the trap. I have never paid any attention to trap inlets and outlets before, is that the way it should be?

Just wondering.

-Tom

Re: Fernco in drains

hi tom.

the drian pipe (tailpiece)coming from the tub is a smaller diameter than the ferco was designed for. a tailpiece adapter needs to be installed there to correct this.

as for the fixture drain being higher than the trap outlet.
    wrong, wrong, wrong.

hope they got the "plumber" back to fix it. although, maybe calling a more reputable company might be better in the long run.

i would black mark that company.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
      hi tom.

as for the fixture drain being higher than the trap outlet.
      wrong, wrong, wrong.

I think he said it was the other way around!

Comment

fernco and mission rubber are both manufacturers.

i believe what your concern is the fernco band is all rubber.

indoor bands need to be shielded, while outdoor bands don't.

look into a mission t-215. shielded transition coupling. 1.5'' tail piece x 2'' plastic or iron pipe.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you for all the information. This got complex really fast for me. I never have heard of shielded or non shielded transition couplers. I have installed miles of water, sewer and storm pipe but nothing indoors. When we needed a fernco we just ordered a clay to PVC, iron to PVC or whatever. I had no idea fernco was a manufacturer.

I just called the customer and left a message on their answering machine and told them if they haven't already called to wait before calling the plumber who installed the piping. One of my pals gave me the name of a plumber who he swears by. I think the customer would be better off paying someone new and having the job done right rather than having the plumber who did the installation come back under some type of guarantee and maybe mess it up.

These people are ripe for unscrupulous contractors. When they first moved in, a month ago, the drain for the washing machine was plugged. I wasn't there so I don't know what the problem was. They hired a plumber to come and fix it. The guy got the drain working and added a piece of flexible plastic hose to the end of the washer discharge. He was there less than an hour and charged them $500.00. I am in favor of everyone making money but that charge seemed excessive. I didn't say anything because these people are really great and I didn't want them to feel bad. Sometime, when the time is right, I will tell them what I think.

As something of a non-sequiteur the guy who sold them the house, it sounds to me as though he flipped it, came in and removed all the smoke and CO detectors sometime between the closing and when the people got back to the house. Do these people say anything? Nope. They just go out and spend $130.00 for new detectors. That has got to be illegal.

Thank you again for all the help.

-Tom

Comment

Vince is correct, the inlet side of the trap must be higher than the outlet by code (in our area) every once in awhile you will see a non code trap on an older home. The mission band coupling we used to use from 1 1/2 tubular waste to 1 1/2 plastic or no hub is the T-150.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
              As something of a non-sequiteur the guy who sold them the house, it sounds to me as though he flipped it, came in and removed all the smoke and CO detectors sometime between the closing and when the people got back to the house. Do these people say anything? Nope. They just go out and spend $130.00 for new detectors. That has got to be illegal.
              I am pretty sure it is. When we closed on our house two years ago the seller had to sign a NYS form stating that a smoke detector was installed and in good working order. Even more simply that if the house closed, and the original owner went back, they were trespassing and by taking the smoke detectors became a thief.

Comment

Working...
              X