Sump pump buzzing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump pump buzzing

I hope someone can help me. I live in a condo that is 6 yrs old. A couple of days ago I was trying to find the circuit breaker for my upstairs bath and by accident flipped the breaker for the sump pump. When I flipped it back, the sump pump started to buzz. I thought it would go off but it did not. I let this go on for a couple of hours, I didn't want the motor to burnout so I just flipped the breaker to the off position. I have never had any issues with the sump pump. Can someone help ?

Re: Sump pump buzzing

Your sure this is a sump pump right? Just for our information where is it located? If it is a sump pump did you pull the cover off of the pit? Was there standing water? Was the float stuck. We need a little more info.

Comment

Yes it is the sump pump located in my basement (Zoeller model wm48). I did pull the top off, but I am not sure what you mean if the float is stuck. There is standing water and it is about 8 or 9 inches from the top of the well. The float is sitting on top of the water.

Comment

It sounds like your pump may be air locked, the buzzing noise you could be hearing might be the pump running but unable to do it's job due to a slug of air trapped under the check valve or the buzzing is simply due to the impeller being frozen and the motor is unable to turn. Sometimes a good tap or two one the side of the pump will do wonders (Turn off the electricity first) If that doesn't work you may just have to pull the pump and check the bottom to make sure nothing got sucked in. At that time you will make the decision to put this old pump back in or get a new pump. When you have the pump out of the pit, see if a small relief hole has been drilled in the discharge line just above where the piping connection was made to the pump. It sounds like you ran into this problem by accident but with winter on the way you may have just saved yourself a headache.

Comment

For rookie plumber: Thanks for the info. I pulled the pump out and took 1 look and just decided to replace it. Just finished installing the new one and it works fine. Again I thank you. I saved about $200 by doing it myself.

Comment

Working...
          X