X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixer Valves - Are there bad brands

I'm doing some research on shower mixer valves, and was hoping some of you could help me with a two questions.

1. Considering all the brands out there (Delta, American Standard, Symmons) are there some that, even when installed flawlessly, are known to leak? If you had to put a percentage to it, what percent of mixer valves leak within 3-5 years after installing?

2. What percent of mixer valves (perhaps showerheads too) contain plastic parts? Does the use of plastic parts lessen the durability of a valve? Can this lead to leaks.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Re: Mixer Valves - Are there bad brands

1. Not really sure but my buddy Charlie had some leak on him. Between my buddy Charlie and I I would rate failure around 56%.

2. Good second question, I would say 87% based on the conversation I had with my buddy Larry about it. Don't hold me to it because he was a little distracted with potty training his new beagle. Their are lots of different kinds of plastic, so relating it to a valve is tricky. I especially don't like the plastic that is in the toys they sell at Wal-Mart. My nephew broke the last toy but it's not her fault, because Carl clipped it with the three wheeler. I was just disappointed how easily it broke.

Take care
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

You ask a good question but your going to get 50 different answers. Every plumber has his favorites and his nightmare choices. I am never concerned with the installation unless it is a retrofit but I am aware that there are only so many repair parts that can be stocked in a truck. So there are two types of customers out there, one does not care what it costs to purchase the valve, install it or repair it and that includes driving for parts. The second type of customer is the exact opposite and wants to make sure our crew could make a repair 24 hours a day. For those customers I had a favorite valve. It should be known that certain parts of the country have different qualities of water so what may work well for me may not hold up elsewhere and that's where the 50 different answers will come from. With the new no lead standards popping up here in California in 2010 we may see a lot more stainless valves with plastic cartridges. If I ever see a plastic valve I'm walking out the door. My favorite is made by Moen and has a separate cartridge (plastic) and a separate balancing spool. NOT THE POSITEMP. This is not the fanciest fixture made, but it is durable and practical and may be one of the few things left that Moen has not messed up. Maybe they will see the light one day and come out with some good looking trim kits. I'm sure you'll find someone that can't stand what I like but we are talking about plastic cartridges.

Comment

I agree parts availability is a big plus. However, when I have an owner looking at an upgraded valve where parts are harder to find I make them buy repair parts when I sell them the valve.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
          You ask a good question but your going to get 50 different answers. Every plumber has his favorites and his nightmare choices. I am never concerned with the installation unless it is a retrofit but I am aware that there are only so many repair parts that can be stocked in a truck. So there are two types of customers out there, one does not care what it costs to purchase the valve, install it or repair it and that includes driving for parts. The second type of customer is the exact opposite and wants to make sure our crew could make a repair 24 hours a day. For those customers I had a favorite valve. It should be known that certain parts of the country have different qualities of water so what may work well for me may not hold up elsewhere and that's where the 50 different answers will come from. With the new no lead standards popping up here in California in 2010 we may see a lot more stainless valves with plastic cartridges. If I ever see a plastic valve I'm walking out the door. My favorite is made by Moen and has a separate cartridge (plastic) and a separate balancing spool. NOT THE POSITEMP. This is not the fanciest fixture made, but it is durable and practical and may be one of the few things left that Moen has not messed up. Maybe they will see the light one day and come out with some good looking trim kits. I'm sure you'll find someone that can't stand what I like but we are talking about plastic cartridges.
          rookie, this is the same valves i have at my house they've been trouble free for 13 years and have a volume control too. most valves only have a temperature control.

if plumbers are smart, they will stay far away from anything based on a
          "tempress" valve. this has got to be the worst designed valve i work on.

i'm also not a fan of "symmonds" this valve has a packing nut that is under pressure even with the valve off.

what ever you buy, make sure there are parts available and that you can afford those parts down the road

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
            1. Not really sure but my buddy Charlie had some leak on him. Between my buddy Charlie and I I would rate failure around 56%.

2. Good second question, I would say 87% based on the conversation I had with my buddy Larry about it. Don't hold me to it because he was a little distracted with potty training his new beagle. Their are lots of different kinds of plastic, so relating it to a valve is tricky. I especially don't like the plastic that is in the toys they sell at Wal-Mart. My nephew broke the last toy but it's not her fault, because Carl clipped it with the three wheeler. I was just disappointed how easily it broke.

Take care
            haha
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Working...
            X