X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Line "Whine"?

Water lines near newly installed soft water system are "whining" when a tap is opened. Whine then goes away in a few seconds. System has been in place for about 2mos, whining just started yesterday. Pic of lines below. Regulator?

Update: I contacted Watts (regulator manufacturer) and their tech support person said this is a "fairly normal" condition where the regulator spring resonates. He suggested I adjust the regulated pressure up/down slightly and this might alleviate this problem. What think ye?
    Last edited by 70runner; 10-10-2008, 04:06 PM.

Re: Water Line "Whine"?

Nice solder joints.

Yeah,I guess...That's one possibility...So what happened?

Comment

I think the guy that did the piping needs to buy a level.
      sigpic

Comment

i've been looking for the pink telfon...

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          I think the guy that did the piping needs to buy a level.
          Yea, that be me. The rigid water lines are actually fairly level, better than they look in the pic. The pressure gauge upright is crooked because I originally plumbed the lower line with rigid copper with more slope upward toward the softener valve. But had some leaks. Then I discovered those wonderful water heater lines at HD, ran them parallel for aesthetics (plan to adjust the upright).

Lowes

Anyway, I slightly changed the pressure on the regulator and the whine disappeared for now. Should I be worried about a pending regulator failure or is this a relatively normal thing?
          Last edited by 70runner; 10-10-2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Relatively normal. The regulator has a diaphragm inside which shuts when the pressure reaches a certain point. Many times the diaphragm vibrates a bit while it is partially closed. Try adjusting the pressure up on the regulator and see if that helps.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

70runner,

nice work.

it has been my experience for ascetic reasons only, i would line up the gauge branch with the lines of the panelling behind. make them parallel.

because your working with water and not heating lines you can be crooked to make your work look even better.

it would be crooked, but it would look straight. you catch my drift?

just a suggestion.

Comment

I have OCD. I see crooked, I can't sleep....must fix
                sigpic

Comment

Will a PRV work if installed backwards,or is there a check valve to stop flow !

Did You REAM all the copper cuts?
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Will a PRV work if installed backwards,or is there a check valve to stop flow !

No, a PRV will not work backwards. Water will still flow through it, but it will not regulate the pressure.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Absolutely

For you parallel and perpendicular guys ...I'll be reworking the whole rig anyway (and lining up gauge branch), because there is insufficient room to twist off the regulator (right side) should I need to replace. Going to replace rigid copper to right of regulator with another copper flex.

Still no whine from regulator...

Comment

After looking at your pictures I am not familiar with the regulator you installed. If it is a cartridge style, you can play with the pressure adjustment but I have found that the non cartridge units will sometimes fail if you try to make adjustments in as little as six months after install. Of course incoming water pressure may make a difference so keep this in mind.

Comment

Not sure about "cartridge" style, but its a Watts N45B-M1

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post

It's at Target in the Ladies Hardware isle.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X