X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tank guts

Ok so a friend asked me to replace his toilets guts yesterday. No big deal simple job. forgive me if I get the names of the parts wrong but im no plumper. Anyways the part that was broken was the overflow tube. Went to home depot got a new one it came with the tube the flapper and a new gasket for where the tank meets the bowl. So got it all replaced in under an hour. Now here my question after bolting the tank down it seams a little wobbley I guess you could say, Now theres no leaks but it just seams that the tank should be a little more solid sitting on the bowl or is that just the way thouse are after you replace the gasket do the set down more with time? I dont want to over tighten the bolts as last time I did this years ago I cracked the bowl and had to replace it.

Jim
    http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Re: tank guts

jim the flush valve is what you replaced. the spud washer is what needs to be compressed. it might not be the proper one for the bowl? it might need to just be squeezed tighter to compress the foam rubber.

i usually will apply arm pressure to the top of the tank in a rocking motion to help seat and compress the rubber.

as long as there is space between the tank and bowl, there is play and movement. you could try a different washer, a couple of rubber strips to shim each side of the tank/ bowl space.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If you put a new Fluidmaster tank to bowl gasket on with new bolts and hardware, I bet thats why it's so loose.

They recommended you to use the wing nuts instead of nuts, and you can't really tighten the wing nuts down worth a ****.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I'm happy to hear that you're not a plumper. Plumpers aren't for everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
          I'm happy to hear that you're not a plumper. Plumpers aren't for everyone!
          Boy I knew my spelling sucked thats what spell check is for and that didn't even notice I spelled that wrong. lol think ill just stick my tail between my legs and go back out to my wood shop.

Aaron think it was a Fluidmaster isn't that what they carry at home depot? Every thing went together real nice and no leaks on the first try that its self surprised me. I always have leaks when I try to fix something like this.

Rick yes there is some space between the tank and bowl didnt realy think about it as there was space between them when I started. I know this becouse at first I thought i might have to take the sawsall to the bolts and thought hey I'll be able to get the blade in there.

I'm thinking I could pick up some more ruber washers and put them in there. Is this a good idea or not or should I just leave well enough alone?

Jim
          http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Comment

you don't want a rocking tank. a little movement with pressure is ok, but not a rocking tank.

now that the spud washer has compressed, try tightening some more. alternate between the bolts while rocking it into position. use your forearm to help push down while tightening the tank.

if you double nutted the bolts/ a nut under the tank and a nut under the bowl, rocking is not going to cause a continuous leak from the tank. if single nut, you defiantly need to take up the play. verify that there is space to tighten and the nuts have not bottomed out between the tank and bowl if double nutted

you could put a rubber shim strip between the tank and bowl if needed to take up the slack. lots of older toilets came with this.

rick.

get this fixed and you might go from plumper to apprentice plumber
            phoebe it is

Comment

If you follows Rick's instructions and it still rocks even a little bit, be sure you have a flexible stainless steel supply tube. If it's a chrome ridgid supply tube it will eventually leak with a rocking motion.

Comment

Working...
              X