X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove and Cap a bidet

I have a bidet in my upstairs bathroom that came with the house. This thing is never used and is taking up prime real estate in an otherwise small bathroom. I would like to remove it so I don't almost fall over the damn thing when trying to stand in front of the mirror.

I am decently handy but don't really know what I would need to do to seal this thing off. What kind of drain does a bidet have and how would I cap it? I'm assuming I need to seal/cap the water lines as well but I'm not sure how to do that?

I would like to do this myself if possible. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Remove and Cap a bidet

Not really that complicated. Biggest issue will be appearance. To make it like it was never there, there will be some drywall repair after you cap off the lines in the wall, and you may have to retile or otherwise redo the floor. I don't see a lot of these, but they either drain out the back like a sink or out the bottom like a toilet. Either way just cap the lines off behind or below the finished surface, then repair the surface be it floor or wall.

Floor will likely be tough to make look right as even if it does continue with the same tile or lino or whatever all the way under the thing it will be discolored where it sits on the floor. Can be as expensive or as cheap to do as you want; depends on how nice you want it to look when it is gone. If you don't mind a couple water supply lines with stops on them sticking out the wall and a drain hole with a plug in it in the wall or floor, just shut the supply stops off and yank it out, then cap off or plug the drain. You want it to look nice, plumbing is the least part of the work.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was kinda looking for more detail though. I know I have to cap the drain and water lines, but with what? I'm not looking for a step by step guide, just some general instructions.

Like, what do I use to cap the drain? What do I use to cap the water lines? I'm sure there are things that you guys use to do this, what are they called and generally how are they installed? Do I need a torch to sweat a fitting to cap the water or is it done some other way? Any little bits of information/secrets that an experienced plumber would obviously know but someone like me wouldn't?

Btw, the bidet and water lines all come from out of the floor. And yes I know that I will have to repair the hole. The tile on the floor is cracked in a few places and is a crappy pink color. I'm looking to remove the bidet and replace the tile (15-20 squares max) all in one shot. I watched my brother-in-law retile my whole kitchen floor. I think I can take a shot at a few tiles in the bathroom and see how it goes.

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      Not really that complicated. Biggest issue will be appearance. To make it like it was never there, there will be some drywall repair after you cap off the lines in the wall, and you may have to retile or otherwise redo the floor. I don't see a lot of these, but they either drain out the back like a sink or out the bottom like a toilet. Either way just cap the lines off behind or below the finished surface, then repair the surface be it floor or wall.

Floor will likely be tough to make look right as even if it does continue with the same tile or lino or whatever all the way under the thing it will be discolored where it sits on the floor. Can be as expensive or as cheap to do as you want; depends on how nice you want it to look when it is gone. If you don't mind a couple water supply lines with stops on them sticking out the wall and a drain hole with a plug in it in the wall or floor, just shut the supply stops off and yank it out, then cap off or plug the drain. You want it to look nice, plumbing is the least part of the work.

Comment

I'm not a plumber, but for them to answer your question will depend on what kind of pipes you have.

It sounds like you have copper supply pipes, so you will need to sweat on the cap for those. I don't provide you the details about this (because I'm not a plumber), but you'll have to think bout things like making sure there isn't a dead-end that you are introducing (where water can stagnate in the pipe)

What kind of drain pipes do you have? Depending on the kind of pipe, it may be more practical for you to get a plumber to cap it off; because if it is copper or cast iron, you would need special tools.

Comment

the bidet connects to the waste line typically with a mission band. you need a 5/16'' nut driver to loosen the band.

shut off the water at the hot and cold angle stops and disconnect the water flexes.

pop off the china caps and remove the nuts 7/16'' or 1/2'' socket

once all disconnected, use a putty knife to pry out the caulking to the floor. this will allow you to rock the bidet off the floor.

a 1.5'' or 2'' jim cap will cap off the waste riser. you will probably have to cut the riser lower under the floor. the water is also a cap.

depending on the material, copper, gal pipe, pex, cpvc, will dictate the type of connection you need.

best bet is to disconnect the bidet and then post photos of the piping that is exposed. then we can walk you through the next step

hey if you still want a bidet and don't want to take up all the room.

i have a very nice brand new toto bidet toilet seat it's a long story, but it's never been out of the gift wrapping from december

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hi everyone! I am in the same situation as the original poster. I have a bidet that came with the house, but wish to remove it. I was thinking of putting in a sink instead. Is there a way I can connect the p trap from the sink to the drain of the bidet, which is in the floor?

Thanks!

rmarkus

Comment

Working...
            X