Pressure Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Problems

I'm selling my house and the inspector noted high pressure on one outdoor hose bib (90psi) and low pressure on another hose bib (20psi). I verified his findings and proceeded to address the high pressure issue. Since both are on a regulated line - I attempted to adjust the pressure at the regulator. Whether I adjusted clockwise or counterclockwise - there was no real impact to the pressure at the bib. The regulator is rated for 25-75psi and one bib is indicating 90, this tells me the regulator is not working properly now matter how it is adjusted.

Question 1: Can parts of the regulators be fixed/replaced without replacing the whole unit?

Question 2: What could be the cause of the low pressure bib? When I turn on the water with the Pressure Gauge attached it spikes to about 60psi before quickly settling to 20psi. There are no apparent leaks on the inside of the house (basement) but the pipe is behind a wall. What should I do next?

Thx.

Re: Pressure Problems

The drop when you turn on the tap is indicative of a regulator "stuck", that is not able to regulate.

The difference between the bibbs is hard to explain. It is not unusual for one bibb...usually front of house...to be unregulated. Are you sure that one bibb is not tapped in ahead of the regulator?

Comment

Yes I am sure. thx.

Comment

Love the USA is right on target, If you have a house shut off that is easily accessible, look to make sure there is no other piping that is coming off the line prior to your regulator. If there is no other piping then shut off your house, flush a toilet and take your pressure readings again, I would be interested in the results. I don't like rebuilding regulators unless they are the cartridge design so if you need one you may have to call a plumber.

Comment

Working...
        X