My RIDGID SSP-1000 sump pump turn on/off every minut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My RIDGID SSP-1000 sump pump turn on/off every minut

I just install a new "RIDGID SSP-1000 sump pump" (with water-sense swtich) last week and it trun on/off every minute --- 24 hours --- never stop. Does it supposeto working in this way? Or the switch of the pump doesn't work properly?Thanks for your help.

Re: My RIDGID SSP-1000 sump pump turn on/off every minut

It would only turn on and off like that if there was lots and lots of water, yes the pump could be bad check it in a bucket or make sure the water is actually flowing away and not draining back on itself making the pump turn on and off.
    Either way logic should find the problem.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Pump should not behave like this; this kind of cycling will burn up the contacts in it in no time.

Very likely nothing wrong with pump (yet).

Very likely something wrong with installation; either no check valve on outlet as cuda alludes to (this most likely), or not a big enough pit for the volume of water you are removing, or improperly set float or whatever it uses to sense water level if not a float.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I don't have the book handy for that particular pump. But I am familiar with some other brands of pumps with electronic switchs. They actually sense flow, not water. So they turn on in a pattern something like this:

On for 5 seconds...no flow = OFF
        Repeat every minute for 5 minutes.
        If no flow, wait one hour and repeat.

And continue like that indefinitely.

Apparently they are designed so some dry running is OK. I suspect they are intended for applications where there is frequent water, not long dry spells. But they are not restricted, and the one or two year warranty applies.

Check the manual on your pump to see what the sequence is.

Comment

Working...
        X