Flange Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flange Problem

You all have been greatly helpful. Thank you.

OK. I should've used a 3"x4" elbow versus what I've got here- a 3"x3". This seems to be the root of the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot change this, as it is well below the floor.

If I remove the current flange by cutting it and chipping it away (I did use clear glue), then I'm left w/ the 3"x3" elbow. I'll still have to cut that elbow a little lower or I'll have the same problem of the china horn on the toilet not fitting into the 3" pipe, except I'll now have a higher quality, cast-iron instaset flange.

My next question is, how does this instaset cast-iron flange attach to the riser (3"x3" elbow)? Will it slide over the pipe on the outside like my current flange does? Is the hub portion PVC that needs glued again? I assume I am doing this in order to have a better flange, yeilding a better connection for the toilet? I hate it when bolts crack the plastic flanges and the toilet begins to move.

Thanks.

Comment

I have a 3/8 tube bender

Comment

Instaset is a name brand, your local plumbing wholesaler or even Home Depot may carry this closet flange. They make them in 3" and 4". They slide right over the pipe and can be removed and installed as many times as you like until your ready to secure it. Even after its secured you can change your mind before you install the brass flange screws. Its real easy to tighten down, all you need is a 7/16 wrench or preferably a socket and you snug up three bolts that pull a lower collar with a thick rubber insert up towards the flange. This particular style of closet ring is made for no hub and cast iron installs but I and many others have found them to work wonderfully with plastic risers and have never had one leak.

Comment

Millions of toilets are set every year with the exact same flange you have. If I were you, I would not worry about it. I have three of the exact same flanges in my house. In this case the hassle is not worth the benefit.
          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
          X