Flange Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flange Problem

I recently renovated my bathroom and I'm now installing the toilet.

My toilet will not set level on the ground because my rough-in pipe is too high. I've attached a few pics.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? I was thinking of using a rotozip to cut it down lower b/ am fearful that it'll create too rough of an edge and will catch things and potentially clog.

Also, given the fact that my flange fits on the outside of the rough-in pipe, I am fearful that it may leak in the event that my joints didn't glue together and seal properly. I will have no way of knowing this until moisture appears in the dining room ceiling that is below the bathroom, which could take a while given the fact that it is drywall laminated over lath and plaster. Any suggestion on how to treat this joint to ensure no leak?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff Wilson
    Attached Files

Re: Flange Problem

The glue should be inside of the hub connection. Feel free to use a roto zip to cut off the top of the pipe. Use a wax ring with a tapered flange and it will help direct everything right where it should go, eliminating the possibility of anything catching on a rough ridge. However, if you're that concerned about it, feel free to use a file to taper the pipe.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

OR

You could get an "inside pipe cutter" and trim it

Here is a picture , it just hooks to any cordless drill and then you just run that saw in the inside of the pipe and trim it down from the inside out, works like a charm

Comment

Flip your toilet over and look at the outlet.

See what I'm talking about?

Comment

For those of you in the future reading this thread and don't know.

The type of ring shown here is low budget(sorry O/P)

One might chose a better quality adjustable stainless ring on plastic hub.

Comment

You done yet?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Flip your toilet over and look at the outlet.

See what I'm talking about?

You done yet?
              Post Whore
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Post Whore
                Just picked up a case of some of those triple taurine drinks.
                THIS STUFF'S GREAT!!!!

Comment

"Use a wax ring with a tapered flange and it will help direct everything right where it should go"

i always wondered what the plasic ring was for.

thanks devine

Comment

Agreeed on that one

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll trim it down w/ the inside pipe cutter.

Pertaining to the low budget ring, is it too late to remove this and replace w/ a better one, now that it's cemented? Can I take it off w/ out ruining the integrity of the rough-in pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by jmwilson@usg.com View Post
                        Thanks for the replies. I'll trim it down w/ the inside pipe cutter.

Pertaining to the low budget ring, is it too late to remove this and replace w/ a better one, now that it's cemented? Can I take it off w/ out ruining the integrity of the rough-in pipe?
                        I don't think it's worth the trouble at this point in time.When it breaks it's owner can do the replacement then.When the time comes you can cut the hub of the fitting and chip it away from the pipe.

Comment

actually the riser is correct if you had used a 4'' riser and ring. the biggest problem was that you used 3'' and the china horn of the toilet is not fitting into the 3'' pipe.

typically we use a 3'' x 4'' closet bend with a 4'' ring. the pipe is suppose to sit level to the top of the flange.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

You still have time if you have the guts and used a clear glue (I only see primer) but I have been very lucky over the years cutting slices into the glued piping surrounding the riser on the closet ell after sawing off the top of the flange. Then making sure you use eye protection, you can use a chisel or a screw driver to separate the glue joint. Don't cut too deep or you'll hit the pipe and that's not a good thing Then I would purchase an "instaset" cast iron closet ring and secure it to the floor. All cranked down it's a bullet proof connection.

Comment

Do the right thing, cut it out. You'll be happy later! Need any gas pipe bent?
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X