X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very odd Hot->Cold problem

I'll start this off by saying - in no way shape or form am I a plumber! That being said here's the problem:

All sinks/showers in the house (with the exception of the problem area) have full pressure hot and cold pipes. No mixing problems - everythings seems fine.

In the problem area (full-sized 1st floor bath (on a slab)) I have full cold pressure. Pressure on the hot is decent yet it works very erratically. It may get warm/hot yet it quickly goes back to cold. (shower control is a single lever - yet the sink has two levers and behaves the same way - so shower body should be ok)

The house has a single oil burner with no seperate hot water heater tank- old style Levittown special!

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by altimuh; 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM.

Re: Very odd Hot->Cold problem

First question, is your house piped in galvanized or copper? Second question, what happens when you turn on the shower and get the desired temp and then turn on the hot side of the basin fau? Is there a decrease inflow?

Comment

Why don't you contact Drain Medic (Greg) through a private message? He also lives in Levittown, PA. He is a drain guy, but I believe he works with a plumber.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
        First question, is your house piped in galvanized or copper? Second question, what happens when you turn on the shower and get the desired temp and then turn on the hot side of the basin fau? Is there a decrease inflow?
        i believe the house is piped in copper - and as far as the 2nd question i don't really ever get the desired temp - it's irratic rising in temp like it should, almost getting to preset boiler temp and then falling off all too quickly (once almost hot talking 10 seconds or less to go back to tepid if not cold) although the rest of the house holds temp fine....

thanks
        Last edited by altimuh; 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Crossover. Call plumber.

J.C.

Comment

Do you have a recirculating system or by any chance has some run a hot line off of the bottom of the heater?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Crossover. Call plumber.

J.C.
              could you explain?

Comment

Do you have a recirculating system or by any chance has some run a hot line off of the bottom of the heater?
                again... sorry i'm not a plumber - could you dumb that down for me? thanks!

Comment

BAD NEWS YOUR SHOWER VALVE IS THE PROBLEM,
                  IT IS EITHER A MOEN OR MIXET THEY ARE FAMOUS FOR CROSSING OVER HOT AND COLD WATER THOUGH THE CENTER CARTRIDGE,
                  YOU CHANGE YOURSELF OR CALL A PLUMBER
                  THAT KNOWS HOW TO DO IT
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Do you have any piping that comes in at the bottom of your water heater and I'm not talking about a gas line. Also is your shower valve in the problem bathroom a single handle unit? If so can you see a name on it?

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                      BAD NEWS YOUR SHOWER VALVE IS THE PROBLEM,
                      IT IS EITHER A MOEN OR MIXET THEY ARE FAMOUS FOR CROSSING OVER HOT AND COLD WATER THOUGH THE CENTER CARTRIDGE,
                      YOU CHANGE YOURSELF OR CALL A PLUMBER
                      THAT KNOWS HOW TO DO IT
                      The shower control is a Moen, however the sink faucet which has two handles (hot & cold) does the same thing.
                      Last edited by altimuh; 10-22-2008, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Do you have any piping that comes in at the bottom of your water heater and I'm not talking about a gas line. Also is your shower valve in the problem bathroom a single handle unit? If so can you see a name on it?
                        it's kind of hard to trace out the lines for the simple fact that the house is on a slab and all the pipes stub up next to eachother.

there's an oil line - a cold water line and then 2 recirculating lines - plus at least one hot water out....

to further complicate the matter - this morning i got hot water (constant) out of the sink in the problem bathroom....

maybe i could probe some minds by asking - how does a tankless boiler work? how does it keep pumping out hot water? perhaps the problem is the boiler is older then dirt and needs to be replaced?

Comment

Lets keep this simple, it sounds like you may have a brass cartridge in your shower valve that may be providing a cross over. Due to the nature of our conversations i think you should have a plumber come by to look at this. There is nothing quite like a frozen cartridge without an insert removing tool.

Comment

could the crossover prob in the cartridge be making the problem for the sink in the same bathroom?

would it mean that a cartridge replacement would fix the whole bathroom? (that being said - i understand the moen old cartridges are quite a pain - to say the least)

only reason i say that is perhaps this morning's hot water availability in the sink faucet was my wife and i's fiddling around with it yesterday....?

thanks again for all the replies

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              Why don't you contact Drain Medic (Greg) through a private message? He also lives in Levittown, PA. He is a drain guy, but I believe he works with a plumber.
                              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Crossover. Call plumber.

J.C.
                              Due to the nature of our conversations i think you should have a plumber come by to look at this. There is nothing quite like a frozen cartridge without an insert removing tool.
                              There is a good guy in your town that is on the forum. I am sure he can help you.
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X