X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cant break the clean out

I have a 1955 house, copper from my bath tub into black pipe and a right angled trap that leads three feet to my vent stack. This has a clean out in the trap that I cant get loose even with heat. ( Maby I didnt get it hot enough)
    The water goes down just barely. A snake wont work on them right angles "90's"
    Is there any ideas you folks might have to break this 2 1/4" plug with a 1" square nut to wrench on?
    Regardes Bob.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Be safe out there folks
    Bob B
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Re: I cant break the clean out

I would use a hammer in your situation and just buy a new plug. If you gotta have what the pros use, check out perfecto products and their cleanout wrench set.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      I would use a hammer in your situation and just buy a new plug. If you gotta have what the pros use, check out perfecto products and their cleanout wrench set.
      Why wouldn't a nice large pipe wrench work in this situation?

Comment

It absolutley would but I'm assuming that if bob knows heat will loosen a stuck fitting, he should also know about a bigger wrench.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          It absolutley would but I'm assuming that if bob knows heat will loosen a stuck fitting, he should also know about a bigger wrench.
          How do the cleanout wrenches work better than a regular pipe wrench?

Comment

A pipe wrench isn't really designed for square stock. the cleanout wrench is used with a 1/2" drive rachet or breaker bar. Will the pipe wrench work? Sure.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Guys, Bobby is just worried about breaking the pipes if he puts too much pressure on the plug. I told him to heat it and tap it with a hammer to try and get iit loose. Otherwise he may be replacing it.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I think he may as well figure on expending the plug. I would make use of a hefty ball-pein hammer and a small cold chisel. Try to hold and impact the chisel so it loosens up the plug but mostly just destroy the plug being careful not to damage the threads inside the T or Y fitting. If you don't have a chisel / punch holder be sure to put a heavy work glove on.

You might try going to a good auto parts or hardware store and getting a can (spray) of PB Blaster. Squirt it on and let it work in an hour or so. If they don't have any PB Blaster something like Liquid Wrench is better than nothing. Even WD-40 is worth a try. I just find the PB Blaster works better than the lesser products.

Pictures: Left = PB Blaster ... Mid = Pretty good chisel and punch holder ... Right = Holder that's better than none but not that great.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Woussko; 10-25-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Bobby,
                  Couple things you might try. Big ball pein hammer and a cold chisel and break the cleanout apart. Be careful to remove all the pieces and don't let any fall inside the pipe. In the welding forum, one guy swears by "micro-peining." When he has a stuck (rusted on) fitting, he takes a ball pein hammer and taps it lightly all around the fitting. Maybe a couple hundred taps or so. He swears that sets up enough vibration to get the thing loose. I've used that technique a couple times with very good success. It sure beats hammering on the thing so long and hard you think your arms are going to fall off. If you have any Kroil, put that on the threads and let it sit for half a day. Stuff will soak thru anything. Quickest way though is to bust it up and replace it with a plastic cleanout.
                  Cheers,
                  Jim Don

Comment

Kroil does work the best, just don't over do itin the house. That stuff stinks terribly. LOL
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Easiest way is to just cut out the old drum trap and replace with a PVC P-trap.
                      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Are you by any chance talking of a drum trap?
                        Kenneth Collier
                        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                        Jackson, MS 39206
                        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

I fully agree with Dan and Jim that KROIL is great, but getting it isn't the easiest thing. It does STINK too but then so does PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench and WD-40.

If you have room and have access to a good impact wrench, serious tool companies do make 4 and 8 point impact sockets. The vibration and rotational impacts might well bust it loose and you could remove the plug with minimal damages. You would need to get good measurements of the plug so you can get the right size socket.

Please do try using a good penetrating oil and let it soak a day or so.

The idea of lots of light taps just might work. It's worth a try. In addition if you heat it up hot again, try (carefully) putting ice on the plug but do what you can to keep the fitting hot. Heat expands and cold shrinks metals.

Good luck and above all else please don't go and expend yourself or any of your body parts. It's just not worth that.

Comment

Geez Dan,
                            you mean to tell me you don't like the smell of skunk in your house? Even my wife has gotten used to the smell of Kroil in ours. LOL
                            Cheers,
                            Jim Don

Comment

The thing with the piping is it has a heavy coat of silver paint on the pipes I don't no if this got drawn into the threads.A friend has told me about a prouduct cald "Fernco!"
                              I just cut the trap out and install this.
                              has any ne used this?
                              Regardes Bobby.
                              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                              Be safe out there folks
                              Bob B
                              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Working...
                              X