Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Toilet and Fixture suggestions?

Hi guys,

I know y'all have your favorites, and in some cases no longer favorite :cough: Delta :cough:

We are redoing our main bathroom, replacing the vanity, countertop, and toilet. The tub is OK, and we are not replacing the fixtures on it.

I want to get quality components without breaking the bank, and I'm pretty limited to HD or Lowes as far as suppliers. I'm currently down to the American Standard Champion 4 toilet (thinking tall size as we get older) and the Kohler Forte (10273-4) faucet. We don't have a fancy house, nor care to impress anyone. We just want stuff we won't have to worry about or replace for a couple dozen years or so. Am I headed down the right road? There was a 10272-4 that is the same except the one we found has the plastic drain pipe. All the drains are plastic anyway, so I didn't see the need to spend the extra $100 for the metal drain.

We also looked at the American Standard Symphony faucet (4058S) as it has similar simple lines and a supposedly quality piece of hardware. I was concerned about the longevity of the flex-cable drain connection, though. Anyone had experieces (good or bad) with them?

Thoughts or suggestions? I'm willing to be swayed if for a good reason.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Re: Bathroom Toilet and Fixture suggestions?

steve, the champion toilet in the "comfort height" is a real good choice. the original flush tower has been replaced with an over sized flapper and is trouble free now. i do like this toilet

as far as faucets go, make sure that the stems are ceramic and are available. both a/s and kohler should be no problem.

not a big fan of the cable operated pop up assy. not a big deal to swap the complete pop up assy to a full brass pop up.

now if you just hold off till the next the roundup we can probably turn your remodel into a roundup event

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Stay away from the wide spread Price Phister basin faucets, they do not have the same durability that they once possessed. Also I personally would stay away from plastic pop up assemblies and find a good metal one. I have also found over the years that chrome finishes lasted longer and held up better than the oil rubbed bronze,white or brushed finishes.

Comment

whats with the cough over delta? I wish everything was delta. If you take care of the body of the fixture than some new seats and springs is all youll ever need. and the parts are always readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by stan'pipe joe View Post
          whats with the cough over delta?
          One of our members had a rant over the plastic in the new Delta components, and ended up being contacted by Delta to discuss it in detail.

Mostly it was said tongue-in-cheek, but we don't have one of those smilies.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          steve, the champion toilet in the "comfort height" is a real good choice. the original flush tower has been replaced with an over sized flapper and is trouble free now. i do like this toilet

as far as faucets go, make sure that the stems are ceramic and are available. both a/s and kohler should be no problem.

not a big fan of the cable operated pop up assy. not a big deal to swap the complete pop up assy to a full brass pop up.

now if you just hold off till the next the roundup we can probably turn your remodel into a roundup event

rick.

Thanks for the input, Rick. I'm not sure about the Roundup Event, though. Y'all are more concerned with speed than quality, and I'd probably have holes all over the place from the plug cutter contingent. I've heard there's some guy named Joe the Plumber that I might contact for help, though.

Seriously, though. If any of you were close, I'd be contacting you for this work. I know you care about your quality and reputation, something rare these days.

Thanks,
          Steve
          Last edited by smorris; 10-26-2008, 10:53 PM.
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

steve, remember the roundup was a timed event. not how pretty it looked. and i didn't squirt oil all over the fan club like others

i guess we'll just have to install the fence for josh instead

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Just an update, since y'all gave input on this project.

Everything is coming along nicely. Yesterday we picked up the new vanity top and toilet. We ordered a US Marble granite top with a biscuit bowl, and the American Standard Champion 4 two-piece to match. We already have the Kohler Forte' faucet for the sink, as well as a new lighting fixture for above the mirror.

Yesterday we also picked out and ordered Congoleum's DuraCeramic flooring. Deb was back and forth on carpet vs tile, and decided to go with this flooring.

Bill and Mike (ridgidpipe and TopDawg from this forum) are doing the bathtub replacement as well as plumbing in the new fixtures. Bill was out looking things over last week, and the new Sterling Advantage tub/shower with Moen faucet should be in the week after Thanksgiving.

Still waiting for the American Woodmark vanity to come in. We ordered a 30" center section with the 18" drawers on either side. Plus matching moulding to put around the mirror. I'll be replacing the drywall behind the vanity, and I'll take this opportunity to move a receptacle and add a second.

So, first get the tub in, then pull the toilet and vanity so the floor goes in, final painting, then the new toilet and vanity, and finally finishing everything up, new baseboard, towel bars, shower door, hang the new lighting, and some rugs. I've been taking photos as we go, so there will be an HGTV sort of before after thing to see.

Thanks again for everyone's input here and in the tub refinishing thread.

Steve
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

w00t! Everything is here! The tub/shower arrived this morning, and we're picking up the vanity after work. Bill will be putting in the tub/shower next Thursday, then the tile goes down. After that the rest goes in. Hopefully evertyhing will be done by the time I'm off for Christmas vacation/holiday on the 19th. I'll post pics as they become available.
                Steve
                www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Wait a minute,I thought Mike was the construction remodel half of the family.
                  The only time Bill should be there is 10 years from now to check on your flapper and update your faucet.

Oh,maybe Bill trained Mike so well on the service end he can't break off his route.Good job Bill

Comment

I've been talking to Bill all of the time during the costing and ordering. I think both are coming out to install. Maybe one to work and the other to drink my beer?
                    Steve
                    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Arrgg! Tomorrow begins the fun. First the tub on Thursday and then the flooring Friday. Then the toilet and vanity and me getting things put back together with new wiring, drywall on one wall, etc.

So I pull the carpet and tile last night, and find that the floor is toast near the tub and toilet. I've never seen anything like this before. Under the tile is 1/4" luan plywood. But the subfloor appears to be 3/4" Celotex! (Brown compressed fiber insulation board. Maybe you call it something different.) I've only seen 1x12 diagonal or plywood subflooring before.

So call the tile folks and delay the install. Call Bill to see what he suggests; pulling the tub and putting new plywood under it, or delay the install and do the floor. He and Mike are going to pull the tub, take a look at what's there, and if needed, replace the whole bathroom floor with new plywood!

I hate it when things don't go as planned, and I know it is going to cost more than I expected. But I sure appriciate the guys taking care of me.

When my wife came home after working late last night, and found me still pulling up tile, I told her; "If you *ever* want to do anything to this house more than just painting, just go to the bank, withdraw a bunch of cash, and start tearing it up..." Not one project in this POS house has gone as planned. I don't know why I thought this one would.

Thanks for listening,
                      Steve
                      Steve
                      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

If there is anything I've learned, it's that you can't open a wall or dig a hole without finding something you don't want to.... hope it goes well.

Good call on not carpet. A hard surface cleans up and you can always lay a rug down.

The electric gids that go under tile are really nice on bare feet in the morning.

I like kohler's wellworth toilet, but my primary complaint with the amstd champion was the stupid flush tower which has apparently been done away with.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X