X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend in my drian

I started to remodel my basement 2.5 years ago.....Long story short it was put on hold due to our 2nd child being born. My buddy who is a plumber moved the floor drian for the shower which required jack hammering the floor etc. Well I stuck a rag in the toilet drian, shower drian and sink drian (house built in 1940's) noticed a year later the rag wasnt there anymore for the toilet.....I'm guessing a rat/mouse had it for a meal and thought when I finally get back to finshing off the basement my buddy will need to snake it out....I put duct tape over the hole and then a brick with a 5 gallon bucket and it sat like that for over a year

Well this fall the plan was to finish everything off. All of sudden within the last few weeks we started getting a rash of drian flies throughout the house. My friend who is a plumber had replaced all the drain lines about 3 years ago going into the main waste line that goes out to the street so I knew it wanst a leaky pipe....Also because the basement has not been rocked I could see all the supplys and drain lines nothing was leaking......(drain flies love standing water or drains filed with rotting material

While I was searching for a possible source of standing water etc I decided to peak @ the totilet that I had taped over with the brick.. To my surprise the tape had been eaten .......

My question are:

After doing some research about the drian flies..It turns out a drain trap or pipe that dries out can become a prime source for fly development. Does anyone have any experience or advice about drain flies in pipe that has gone dry.

What is the significance of a totilet drian pipe like this drying out. Obviously one effect is the drain flies.. I guess because the rat/mouse ate the duct tape seal could explain how the drain flies found there way out aroudn the brick?

The rag must have been eaten or taken by the rat/mouse. I imagine I need to have the line snaked out in case the rag was only pulled down the pipe. Whats intresting is it must not have been pulled past the main line as I would think we would have had the main floor toliet backing up? Or perhaps the rat ate the dam thing?

I have to think the toliet drain line being dry for 2 years is somehow to blame for the drain flies

Re: Friend in my drian

Cool chain of events.
    Welcome to the forum.
    the trap to the toilet is in it's own porceline.
    You should be fine.

Comment

I always called them sewer flies and because you have unfinished plumbing that has not been properly capped, these guys who would normally find their way up a vent stack to the roof and beyond have now detoured into your basement. If you can install temporary caps then do so. If you have a toilet or a shower that has been roughed in then make sure there is water in the toilet bowl and make sure you periodically pour water into the drain of the shower. By loosing your trap seal you allow the flies to enter. Keep in mind that rats are known to use sewer piping as their highway so when there is no trap seal they can hear your family and may visit you. Being aware of that situation will allow you to take proper action

Comment

GO TO ANY STORE THAT SALES PLUMBING,
        YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZE IE; 3" OR 4" SCREW STYLE TEST PLUG FOR YOU DRAINS
        ALSO ONE FOR THE SHOWER AND ANY OTHER OPEN DRAINS,
        THATS THE WAY REAL "PLUMBERS" SEAL OPEN
        DRAINS FOR TEST AND TO SEAL WHEN EVER REMODEL WORK HAS THE DRAINS OPEN

REMEMBER ALL THE STUFF GOING DOWN THE SEWER IS COMING OUT IN YOUR BASEMENT
        LIKE ALL THOSE 3RD, WORLD DISEASES
        THAT YOU WANT YOUR YOUNG CHILDREN
        EXPOSED TOO
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

To the store I must go! I will get the covers.I assume any big box store will carry?

As for the the potential for a rat/mouse being in the line....I know these type of scenarios are quite common in my city( not sure if this is exacerbated by the fact that we live in a northern climate and they seek warmth as winter sets in) as a friend of mine left his completely unplugged and a rat got into his house and then his attic..... I also know from my father in law that he has caught a rat in his downstairs toilet and my buddies father had one escape out of the toilet into the basement......
          Obviously I must have something in the pipe.

How big of a problem is this? Should I be contacting an exterminator while the toilet is off.....We live in the city Saint Paul MN( within a few miles to the Mississippi River and have heard the closer you are to the river the more prone to having rats, not sure if its some wives-tale or not)?

Is there anything that can be added to prevent rodents from coming up through the toilet....Something I can add before we re-connect the toilet. a flange of some sort?

Comment

THE PLUGS I POSTED CAN BE WITH METAL END OR HEAVY GAUGE PLASTIC, BUT GO WITH THE METAL ONES IF YOU WANT,
            AS FAR AS THE RAT PROBLEM LOOK UP SONIC
            PESTS ON THE NET,
            YOU PLUG THIS INTO A ELECTRIC OUTLET AND IT SENDS OUT SONIC PULSES THAT SMALL PESTS AND RODENTS DON'T LIKE ! !
            MY WIFE AND I USED THESE IN L.A. AND THEY
            DO WORK ! !
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Do they need to caulked to the floor flange, these plates I need an airtight seal, yes?

Comment

expansion plugs/ aka dollar plugs expand via a wing nut. the rubber seal is pliable and the 2 ends/ washers will squeeze the rubber and expand to the walls of the pipe. clean off the wax and you're good for a 20' head test.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Sewer flies.as I call them,can only hatch in stagnant water so make sure that there is no waste pooling someplace.If you open a random manhole to the sewer on your street you will find NO sewer flies.So your problem is elsewhere I suspect.Orkin has called us this year the fruit fly problem has been so bad in the Twin City area.

Comment

Working...
                  X