Specialized Tool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specialized Tool?

Is there some kind of specialized tool for removing these clips (shown in the picture).
    Name:  d32d48cd898ad9325e4a1a9f57ec63b2.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  41.3 KB
    They are circular and have two holes that you need to squeeze together, and then pull out. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the holes and a tiny screwdriver to try to pry it out, but it took a pretty long time because the pliers would let go, or I couldn't manage to get the screwdriver underneath. I'm just wondering if there is a better tool for it.

Re: Specialized Tool?

Google the images for "Circlip Pliers"
    I like the ones with the four interchangeable heads for inner and outer applications.

Comment

Hard to see the pic but it sounds like you are looking for retaining ring or snap ring pliers

Comment

Thanks. Seems like a pair of those could have saved me half an hour yesterday.

Comment

that's a grohe valve. a very high end valve and i would contact grohe for free replacement parts.

make sure to shut the water to the house prior to attempting to remove the integral stops.

typically hard water and lack of use cause the stops to stop working. also it's very important to use the properly sized screwdriver to turn the stops and not damage the heads.

rick.

in all the grohe valves i've serviced. i've never had to remove the circlip for the stops.

there's also a very large one for the temperature, balancing valve handle retainer.

contact grohe for free help and parts.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            that's a grohe valve. a very high end valve and i would contact grohe for free replacement parts.
            Rick,

You've nailed the brand exactly. It is a Frederick Grohe, and thankfully it is back to working without any parts.

make sure to shut the water to the house prior to attempting to remove the integral stops.
            Thanks. I did shut the water to the house. My next plumbing project is to add a shut-off for the supply lines as they go to the rest of the house, after the boiler, because right now I have to shut off the whole house and turn off the boiler to do anything. If I put in the extra shut-off, then this kind of thing can be worked on without shutting off the heat.

typically hard water and lack of use cause the stops to stop working. also it's very important to use the properly sized screwdriver to turn the stops and not damage the heads.

rick.

in all the grohe valves i've serviced. i've never had to remove the circlip for the stops.

there's also a very large one for the temperature, balancing valve handle retainer.

contact grohe for free help and parts.
            The reason I thought that I needed to look at this part, is that I turned it too much while shutting it off. About a month ago, I was trying to resolve my shower dripping into my laundry room (not a plumbing problem really, since it only happened when someone was in the shower). Adam asked me if I checked the overflow, and I was looking at that, and realized it was coming from higher up. The faucet and the valve had no caulk behind them, so water would get behind them and migrate down the wall.

To remove the escutcheon plate and get some caulk behind it (there was a styrofoam piece that should have had a bead and didn't), I needed to take off the handle. I figured before I do that I should turn the water off. I turned it a bunch of times, thinking it would be like a gate valve and not a quarter turn. When I went to turn back on, no cold water would come out.

At that point I called a plumber, who came out and said he would need to rebuild the stop, but needed to get parts. After I called and asked status, he said we could rebuild it w/o new parts. I said we could wait for the parts. After a month of him not returning my calls, I decided I would take a look myself (brings us to yesterday).

I did take the stop valve apart, and I don't see anyway it could have really broken, because it is very simple. I put it back in, turned the water on, and then adjusted the temperature with a pair of pliers instead of the knob, and got cold water again. I think that the temperature adjustment mechanism must gotten a bit messed up when I unscrewed the handle.

It was kind of neat to take it apart and see how it worked. The only thing I disliked about the thing after I saw the guts is that the handle to turn the water on/off engages with a plastic part, and if you turn the handle too hard it can "slip", and I think that that will eventually wear itself out. I guess the alternative to a plastic part that slips is a metal part that might eventually need lubrication though.

Comment

the handle works on a taper, you need to make sure that you don't overturn the spindle and blow the initial temperature setting.

i like to use a good thermometer to adjust the stop setting.

the 1/4 turn shut off is on when the slot is horizontal and off when it vertical.

i guess the original service plumber had no idea you were part of the ridgid forum hard to pull a fast one on the forum members

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,using a thermometer?
                I would be afraid I could be called back if I did not have the homeowner check to see if it's hot enough for their liking.Do you set to code(as of now I don't know the number).I know it's tempered down to 105 for public handwashing.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  I would be afraid I could be called back if I did not have the homeowner check to see if it's hot enough for their liking.Do you set to code(as of now I don't know the number).I know it's tempered down to 105 for public handwashing.
                  The valve actually has gradations on it, starting at 60 degrees, going to about 100, then a red-push button that lets you go to 130.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    yes and no

actually i use both a digital and a mechanical thermometer.

i also have the homeowner decide the override temperature so i don't get a call back

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
                      yes and no

Actually i use both a digital and a mechanical thermometer.

I also have the homeowner decide the override temperature so i don't get a call back

rick.
                      thanks

Comment

talk about timing today.

i had a water works tub shower valve with a thermostatic cartridge that was not rotating more than 1/4 turn.

this is a 1 year old valve that belongs to a big time celebrity that we all know.

so his personal assistant is talking to me about the limit button and what temperature to set it at.

no problem as i have 2 thermometers with me.

so i fix the valve and calibrate the handle.

she ask me about the headlight on her car that is burned out.

as i leave, we go downstairs to the garage and i got to check under the hood removed the bulb 9006 and show her how to reinstall it without touching the glass bulb.

so not only did i get to use my 2 thermometers today, i got to play
                        mr goodwrench too

all in a days work

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

thermometers and chivalry are/is not dead

Comment

Hope they write you in the will for your good deed Rick.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            talk about timing today.

i had a water works tub shower valve with a thermostatic cartridge that was not rotating more than 1/4 turn.

this is a 1 year old valve that belongs to a big time celebrity that we all know.

so his personal assistant is talking to me about the limit button and what temperature to set it at.

no problem as i have 2 thermometers with me.

so i fix the valve and calibrate the handle.

she ask me about the headlight on her car that is burned out.

as i leave, we go downstairs to the garage and i got to check under the hood removed the bulb 9006 and show her how to reinstall it without touching the glass bulb.

so not only did i get to use my 2 thermometers today, i got to play
                            mr goodwrench too

all in a days work

rick.
                            WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                            ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Since I also do most of my own automotive work, I have sets of snap-ring pliers, some with various tips. Always handy. I have used needle-nosed pliers to get them out, too. The real trick is not having them fly across the room - isolate the area so they can't jump.

Comment

Working...
                              X