X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub refinishing: Legit or not?

In conjunction with the previously mentioned new pot, vanity, etc. Deb now decides that having a Harvest Gold bathtub isn't going to cut it.

Are companies like Miracle Method and their ilk legit? Does this stuff work? If not, is relining any better? They [Miracle Magic] say that moisture gets between the liner and tub causing mold, mildew, etc. Seems reasonable unless the entire surface is glued down.

I just don't want to have to spring for a new tub (which will undoubtedly then include new tile, new doors, etc...)

Thanks again,
    Steve
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Re: Bathtub refinishing: Legit or not?

Steve,
    I've been waiting 20 years for Harvest Gold to come back in style but I just don't think the world is ready yet

I get this question alot and it really depends what you want to do with the bath. If it's a guest bathroom that you just want to brighten up then have a reputable company do a reglazing. This will be the least expensive of your options. Prep is the key to a quality finished product. The drawback is that it can chip easily showing the gold underneath.

If it's a bath that's used everyday I would go with a quality liner. Do your research on this because not all products are the same. Pay attention to warranties and how long the installing company has been in business. Typically it can be done in one day. This is good if it's your only bathtub. Be careful what chemicals and scrubbers you use to clean it. Remember, it's not enameled anymore. Don't be concerned about mold or mildew between the liner. It's a non issue
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 10-27-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Sorry Steve but you seem to be the type of guy who does things the right way. Are you sure you want to paint or line your tub?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Good question, Mark. That's why I'm wondering whether they're any good. From Crack's description, neither is great. This will be in the main bath. I guess if I'm putting in a quality custom vanity, marble top, quality toilet, new carpet,and Kohler fixtures, a drop in plastic liner or chip prone refinish are not what I would want.

You're right, though. I like to do things right once. It doesn't have to be "The Best", but it does have to be quality. I think Harvest Gold would look *super* with bisquit/linen!

Thanks guys!
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I have not personally experienced liners. The reports we here on the internet forums is frequently negative, but like all things, it is possible that only the negtives are reported and millions of "positives" go unmentioned.

I know that hotels often use the liner method, because they need to be able to "remodel" a room without disrupting the whole floor, and do it in minimum time. The fumes from the epoxy refinishing jobs would be out of the question for them. And if they have to redo the liner in 3 years, that is a normal business operation for them.

The reglaze jobs usually look very good. If you have a very well qualified company do it, you can expect 3 years. I have always found that after about that time, they tend to start deteriorating around the drains,etc. And you have to be religious about using mild cleaners only.

Comment

I've been using Miracle Method for five years on projects where the only problem was the color of the bathtub and tile. Miracle Method is an excellent company that stands by their work.

The primary differences between Miracle Method and others is Method uses a bonding agent and not acid (hydrofluoric, I think) to make the new coating stick. They also buff out the tub after it cures. It does make a difference.

Some of the liners really look great, but I've removed a couple of them when the homeowner detected a mold smell in the bathroom. Water had got in between the liner and the old tub. It was a mess.

If you're thinking about refinishing, you can learn a lot on www.miraclemethod.com. I'd stay away from the guys who operate out of the trunk of their car.

Comment

Thanks both of you for the info. If what motels use is the liner, I'm not even remotely interested. Too many times I've been in a motel shower and had the floor loose and squishy underneath with water trapped between or squirting out through holes in the bottom. Yuck!

If the refinishing, even a good quality one is only good for 3-5 years with care, then I'm not interested. I'm after something I don't have to mess with for 20 years. Sounds more and more like either keeping the current tub or getting a new one.

Thanks, guys! I knew I could count on the pros for an informed opinion.
              Steve
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Do yourself a favor and consider a new tub. I don't like the liners, they look like a cheap motel and I have seen many an epoxy finish peel. It's amazing how many people will reglaze (spray paint) just before they put their house on the market. And if anything other than a body goes in the tub you risk scratching It costs more money to do it the right way but in the long run you'll be happier and with all the other things your doing in the bathroom a new tub will look like it was all part of the game plan.

Comment

Thanks! Y'all are steering me the way I probably knew I should be heading anyway.

Hey TopDawg! You're close by. Need some work? PM me your contact info.
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

The discussion here is definitely interesting. I refinish tubs and tile and countertops and it all comes down to what your expectations are. Refinishing is definitely cost effective but never as good as something new. The finish can be very hard, the ones that we use has a pencil hardness of 4 to 5, but even that is subject to chipping and other damage.

A properly installed liner on the other hand, is a great option, don't let a refinisher scare you into thinking that it'll fail or that mold will form. Just check out the company you're considering and how the final product look.

In your case, going new is the way to go, especially if the expense is affordable and you want to the quality of all the fixtures to be consistent.

Jose
                    Jose Olmedo
                    Austin, TX
                    http://www.AllSurfaceRenew.com

Comment

Thanks guys for all the input, and to Jose for his installer knowledge.

Saturday we ordered the American Woodmark 30" sink cabinet with an 18" drawer set on either side. On top is a 69" US Marble countertop with "bisquit" colored sink, and 8" center holes. We ordered a couple of 8' mirror trim pieces to match for around the mirror and a door face for the exposed end of the vanity. We also ordered the Kohler Forte brushed finish faucet set (I'll add my own better quality tail piece) and the American Standard Right-Height Champion 4 toilet and seat (in matching linen)

Deb has already picked out paint and carpet, and we still need to find a light and towel bars. Ive been in contact with Mike (TopDawg) and will call Bill about possibly having them replace the bathtub and bath fixtures. I think it is great that there's someone local here on the forum that I know will do a quality job if we decide to go ahead with the tub replacement.

Thanks again for everyone's input here and in the other thread. I'll let you know how it turns out and post some photos when it is all done. I suspect sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Steve
                      Steve
                      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Working...
                      X