Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid's site is contratictory.

Buyer beware:
    We wanted to cut and ream copper pipe so we buy a model 122 copper prep machine. The write-up at the top of the screen, next to the picture, says it will cut and ream 1/2" to 4" pipe. There is an asterisk about only reaming up to 2".

I get the model 122 but find it can only cut up to 2". Then I look on the same site under the "specifications". Sure enough, it says it only cuts up to 2". That bothers me a bit. I figure the person who made the website copied and pasted the info from the 122XL machine to the model 122 site. In addition, there is an adapter for using fitting brushes. The manual says to install the quick change adpater into the shaft on the side. No can do. The shaft doesn't have a hole. Why even send the adapter? Why does it say it can clean fittings?

Next, we buy the model 122XL because we need to cut up to 3", now the top says exactly what the model 122's site says: it will only ream up to 2", asterisk and all. However, down in the specifications, it very clearly states that the model 122XL will ream up to 4". In fact, it diferentiates between the model 122 and 122XL's abilities with regard to reamiosity. The lady at Ridgid doesn't know which is right. The picture shows a much larger reamer area. Against someones better judgement (not mine) we get the model 122XL. Lo and behold, the reamer area is huge, but has the same reamer that the model 122 has - too small.

Is it even possible to ream 2-1/2" or 3" copper pipe with a 2" cone reamer? I suspect not.

Todd

Re: Ridgid's site is contratictory.

Just to clarify. The better judgment was not mine. The better judgment was from someone else.

Todd

Comment

They must have redone it already as it says the 122 is for 1/2" through 2" and the 122XL is for 1/2 through 4" but only reams to 2"

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

3" copper, why ream it??? I only ream 1/2 in pipe.
        ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
          Nice

Comment

Hopefully the good guys at Ridgid will see your post and get back to you to see if they can offer any assistance. Lets see

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
              I assume this was meant as a joke?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction and it appears to be justified. I know you want the tool to perform as expected but in the meantime, I've found pencil style reamers to be better then the cone style.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I assume this was meant as a joke?

Mark
                  Nah, he is just a small plumber!
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

How expensive is this machine? Seems like a frivolous expense to me but since I'm a lot like Rick when it comes to tools I guess I'm gonna have to get one.
                    sigpic

Comment

just a small glitch

Comment

Yup they fixed it. Except they missed the specification on the 122 which still says that the 122XL reams 1/2" to 4".

Todd

Comment

The model 122 is $1200. The model 122XL is $1800. We are doing production work with them. For the average plumbing shop, it might not make sense. However, they can cut tubing like the wind (or the cheese).

Todd

Comment

Working...
                          X