X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vent for toilet

i have a question for all the very knowledgeable plumbers here. i want to move a toilet in an old house (cast iron pipe). i want to know if the vents that are stubbed up in a wall with a termination in the wall. i cant think what they are called will work ok? what size? and i am already sure that they are probably not to code. but will they work ok?

Re: vent for toilet

i see plumbers viewing this thread and am sure 1 or 2 of them are knowledgeable enough to answer my post?

Comment

Those vents like nice fresh air from a proper roof terminal.

Comment

who cares what they like. will they work? i hope i get more people to comment. nohing against you but have never seen you post here. i saw one a high school football coach put in and his commode worked better than min that is vented to nice fresh air .i

Comment

Because toilets have internal S traps and are by design a self siphoning fixture, they will operate just fine with no vent at all. In fact the IPC does not care haw far the toilet is from a vent. Those things "in the wall are Autometic air vents?" maybe. If so you have to provide access to them.
          sigpic

Comment

NHMaster

thank you for your post! you confirmed my suspicions and guesses, lol . but really thank you snicerely!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Because toilets have internal S traps and are by design a self siphoning fixture, they will operate just fine with no vent at all. In fact the IPC does not care haw far the toilet is from a vent. Those things "in the wall are Autometic air vents?" maybe. If so you have to provide access to them.
              Are you serious?? or are you BS'ing?? I am in an IPC state. A friend of mine asked me about moving her toilet across to the other side of the bathroom, and I told her it would be no problem other than possibly cutting out some sheetrock for the plumber to run a vent to the attic, which scared her off. The house is a ranch, with an unfinished basement, so everything underneath would be easy. Attic access is horrible, however. She wants to move the john so she could have a double vanity instead of the pedestal sink (with studor vent. UGH) she has now. I have a million questions, but I will have to start another thread on this one at some point.

Comment

JTRoanoak,

im no plumber but why not use the vewnt stubbed out in the wall. i know im hardheaded, but seriously as a plumber or foot doctor, i see no difference if you vent it in a wall or 1000 feet above the house. a vent by definition is to let air in right? no house at least my old house is so tight it wont let the toilet flush. am i missing something big? i admit i am a dummy! lol

Comment

why charge your friend a fortune to ruin her sheetrock, when its not necessar?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                    Those vents like nice fresh air from a proper roof terminal.
                    this can be disputed, the vent can go through the wal cant it??

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                      JTRoanoak,

im no plumber but why not use the vewnt stubbed out in the wall. i know im hardheaded, but seriously as a plumber or foot doctor, i see no difference if you vent it in a wall or 1000 feet above the house. a vent by definition is to let air in right? no house at least my old house is so tight it wont let the toilet flush. am i missing something big? i admit i am a dummy! lol
                      I'm no plumber either, so I listen to what these people have to say. I do know that a Studor type vent is a mechanical device, and mechanical devices wear out. In this case, when it wears out, you get a funny smell, that is not acceptable! Not to mention, sewer gas isn't the most healthy thing in the world to have leak into your house.An access panel in the wall is not cosmetically desireable in this location. I will run or have someone run roof venting for the vanity, and possibly rework a closet to get a vent in for the toilet if necessary, but I will not seal a device needing periodic replacement into the wall, even if my local plumber recommended it. I would rather not vent the toilet than put a mechanical vent in the wall. When I do side work, I sub out plumbing and electrical, and stick to what I know. I might run some vent lines to the attic to make it easier on the plumber, but if its wet, it's his. I am not a Jackleg, and I use this forum so I can learn enough so that no one does jackleg work for me.

Comment

why charge your friend a fortune to ruin her sheetrock, when its not necessar?
                        I wouldn't ruin the sheetrock, when it was complete you would never know that I was there other than it would be smoother than the rest of the wall!

Comment

You can't bury AAV's in the wall. They must be accessible for service.
                          sigpic

Comment

JTRoanoak,

i'm sure you'll be happy when the drain clogs... think about it again sewer gas use your head

Comment

There back!! Troll alert ,not even clever
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X