X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing a flange and covering a hole

I have a warehouse with about 10 toilets. I'm removing some toilets and leaving some. The toilets were set on iron flanges connect to an iron pipe with lead.

I have removed a couple of the flanges (they are mostly broken or very close) by drilling out the lead and picking it out. Then I tapped the flanges and worked the flange whole of in pieces. I've done this on 2 flanges so far and have a bunch more to go. The pipe that is left sets about 3/4" below the level of the existing tile.

So I have 2 situations and two questions that I hope you guys will help me with. After I get all the flanges out I want to replace some and others I want to cap aesthetically.

Question 1.
    I bought 2 flanges at lowes. One is an iron flange that fits on the outside of the pipe, it has what looks like a neoprene ring in it that compresses and holds to the pipe. The problem with this, unless I'm missing something, is that the pipe is recessed too far in the hole. So, I got an iron flange that fits inside the pipe. It has a tapered thread and rubber threaded gasket on it. The gasket goes inside, spin the flange, the gasket expands via the threading and the flange is in tight. It was way too easy. Is this an OK solution or I am getting into a problem since I'm reduing the ID of the 4" pipe with the inside fit flange. This is a commercial toilet.

Question 2.
    For the ones where I will not be replacing the toilet (but I may want to long in the future), I want to put one of the nice stainless-looking covers that I've seen around. It's about 6" or 8" around and I think it has a screw in the top. I assume it must hook to some kind of dollar plug or something and hold down tight to the floor. Where can I get this (I have a Ferguson and Grainger account) and what's it called?

Thanks in advance,

Curt

Re: replacing a flange and covering a hole

Originally posted by conicalplumbing View Post
    I have a warehouse with about 10 toilets. I'm removing some toilets and leaving some. The toilets were set on iron flanges connect to an iron pipe with lead.

I have removed a couple of the flanges (they are mostly broken or very close) by drilling out the lead and picking it out. Then I tapped the flanges and worked the flange whole of in pieces. I've done this on 2 flanges so far and have a bunch more to go. The pipe that is left sets about 3/4" below the level of the existing tile.

So I have 2 situations and two questions that I hope you guys will help me with. After I get all the flanges out I want to replace some and others I want to cap aesthetically.

Question 1.
    I bought 2 flanges at lowes. One is an iron flange that fits on the outside of the pipe, it has what looks like a neoprene ring in it that compresses and holds to the pipe. The problem with this, unless I'm missing something, is that the pipe is recessed too far in the hole. So, I got an iron flange that fits inside the pipe. It has a tapered thread and rubber threaded gasket on it. The gasket goes inside, spin the flange, the gasket expands via the threading and the flange is in tight. It was way too easy. Is this an OK solution or I am getting into a problem since I'm reduing the ID of the 4" pipe with the inside fit flange. This is a commercial toilet.

the flange you're referring to is called an instant set. the ones at h.d. and lowes are the standard 4'' x 2'' depth.

go to the supply house and get a 4'' x 4'' deep instant set. also make sure you cement the flange into the opening with pour-stone. also make sure the flange sits on top of the finished floor. meaning the 1/4'' thick lip is sitting on top of the tile or floor covering. not flush.

the internal flanges are so so for a quick emergency. not a real repair. i don't believe they are a code approved flange.

Question 2.
    For the ones where I will not be replacing the toilet (but I may want to long in the future), I want to put one of the nice stainless-looking covers that I've seen around. It's about 6" or 8" around and I think it has a screw in the top. I assume it must hook to some kind of dollar plug or something and hold down tight to the floor. Where can I get this (I have a Ferguson and Grainger account) and what's it called?

Thanks in advance,

Curt
    you can get just a stainless clean out cover and set it into a concrete insert. the toilet opening needs to be properly capped off with a plug, or cap. even plumbers dynamite with newspaper will work.

if you really want to splurge, you can get a nice floor clean out like the j.r. smith, zurn or micro cleanouts.

good luck.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Those plastic twist and set flanges work great, but only on cast iron pipes. Make sure to screw them in to the slab also. Don't try to use them on plastic pipes. Don't worry about the size difference. It should be fine. And as Rick said, make sure you plug off the unused or abandoned colset bends. Plug them solid then cover them over without worry.
      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Rick you're saying that this is the way to go.

So here is what I would do based on your suggestion:

1. chip the hole in the floor a little bigger (the old flange did not have the bolts in it to expand the ring and thus fit into a smaller hole) to accept the 4x4 instant set.

2. Put the flange on the pipe and press it into place.

3. Tighten the nuts so the instant set will 'grab' the pipe (note: that there is nearly 1/4" difference between the ID of the instant set I bought and the pipe OD. ) I'm wondering if that thing will shrink that much.

4. Pour the instant set under the flange and fill it level to the floor.

5. be certain that the top of the new flange rests 1/4" about the floor. I assume I'll put a level on it too. -Based on memory, that means the bottom of the lip on the flange will be about flush with the floor.

Is that correct?

Also, how will I ever remove it if it's set in concrete. -Don't waste your time answering that, just let me know I'm not messing something up or doing something that I will later hear was a huge mistake and impossible to undue.

One more, you said "the toilet needs to be properly capped with a plug or cap.

Is a Dollar plug proper? If not do they sell some kind of cap that you put on an iron pipe? How does it affix to the pipe?

Ok 2 more questions....

Using the term "clean out cover", I just found this:

Since the tile is existing, how does this thing hold down? Can I get some kind of cap with a threaded hole to receive a bolt?

Thanks man, this is way more helpful than you can imagine.
        Last edited by conicalplumbing; 10-30-2008, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
          Those plastic twist and set flanges work great, but only on cast iron pipes. Make sure to screw them in to the slab also. Don't try to use them on plastic pipes. Don't worry about the size difference. It should be fine. And as Rick said, make sure you plug off the unused or abandoned colset bends. Plug them solid then cover them over without worry.

It is going to an iron pipe. Above Rick mentioned that the twist and set may not be up code. This is concern of mine. Also, having two iron pipes connected by just an expanded ring scares me a little. If I bolt down the twist and set, is this a real concern? The twist and set seems easy, too easy. But it also seems more repairable in the future as I can just unbolt and unscrew it. The other thing I like is that it is inside the pipe and seems less likely to leak. -that is until I heard from Rick about setting it in instant set.

What to do...

Comment

sound too me like you need to call a plumber!

Comment

"I have a warehouse with about 10 toilets. I'm removing some toilets and leaving some."

I guess the use of this building has changed somewhat. There's a reason it had 10 toilets to begin with right? Has the number of people decreased significantly?
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X