X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen Kitchen Faucet Leaking on 3 Hole Sink

Just installed a Moen kitchen faucet (model 87666) on a sink with three holes. The escutcheon & gasket kit was used to cover each extra hole on either side of the faucet. Tightened down everything pretty well but I'm getting a leak through one of the extra holes underneath into the area below the sink. Is there a plug that I'm supposed to put in the extra holes? A web search for such an item shows some decorative covers that just snap in place, but also some that have a gasket and are tightened from underneath to make a seal. Moen just suggested to use some putty between the gasket and the sink which they never mentioned in the instructions... Should I use putty, or silicone?

Re: Moen Kitchen Faucet Leaking on 3 Hole Sink

All Moen troubleshooting questions should be forwarded to NHMaster

It shouldn't leak with or without putty/silicone. Sounds defective.

Comment

Moen Strikes again. Take it back and get something that isn't crap.

You guys ever notice how many Moen questions pop up?
      Where are Moen faucets made anyway? Sounds French to me.
      sigpic

Comment

pull out the spray hose and see if it leaks at the connecton to that.I had 3 last week leaking there.
        Last edited by Jay Mpls; 10-30-2008, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I won't supply or install any moen.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Al Moen would turn over in his grave if he knew how his company was being run. I recently installed a Moen in my kitchen sink but it was a brand new 12 year old two hole 67300. I would never install any of the new models.

Comment

I installed a 3 handle Moen faucet today that should of had a dollar wrapped around it and give to someone who cares.

Way too many plastic parts. It was against my better judgement to install it for many reasons, one being the name stamped on the faucet.

The trim pieces aren't even threaded on; they're pushed on with the ends slotted. Without silicone they can loosen up and come right off.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by kornbln View Post
                Just installed a Moen kitchen faucet (model 87666) on a sink with three holes. The escutcheon & gasket kit was used to cover each extra hole on either side of the faucet. Tightened down everything pretty well but I'm getting a leak through one of the extra holes underneath into the area below the sink. Is there a plug that I'm supposed to put in the extra holes? A web search for such an item shows some decorative covers that just snap in place, but also some that have a gasket and are tightened from underneath to make a seal. Moen just suggested to use some putty between the gasket and the sink which they never mentioned in the instructions... Should I use putty, or silicone?
                It sounds to me like the faucet is not leaking but the seal between the faucet and sink is. I have installed a number of faucets Moen, Kohler, Delta and a few other brands that the escutcheon and gasket kit do not seat well enough to make a water tight seal and will leak when water is splashed or run around the base of a faucet. After reading what Devine had to say It may be that you forgot to put in the washer between the hose and spray head. Easy enough to check that, just pull out the spray head and turn the water on, it should leak right away but I'm sure you would have checked that before you started this post?
                ________
                Volcano Vaporizer
                Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM.
                Mike

Comment

I figured I would chime in and give you the right answer. Do not use any silicone, putty, caulk, or anything else for that matter around the base of that faucet. The supplied base plate (which I hope you installed) has its own rubber seal around the bottom that makes an excellent waterproof seal at the kitchen sink. There are only two possible solutions to your problem. I would have to agree with Jay and say that the leak is from the hose connection on the sprayer. There is a screened washer that has to be installed there. It comes in a very small package and is usually overlooked. Only other possible problem is a defective hose. I guess the third problem could be a problem with a defective valve body, which Moen would gladly take care of. I would bet money on the washer though.
                  Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

No, the right answer is to remove the faucet. Place it behind the rear tire of a large truck and back over the piece of crap.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      No, the right answer is to remove the faucet. Place it behind the rear tire of a large truck and back over the piece of crap.
                      And put what in its place a Delta (even more problems), Kohler (good luck getting parts), American Standard, Price Pfister (don't make me laugh). If you don't like the quality of a Moen, there is only one thing you can do. Make the upgrade to Grohe.
                      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

I would rather put in a effin Glacier Bay than a Moen.
                        Never had even one problem with Delta.
                        sigpic

Comment

Moen,buy it for looks,Buy it because you hate your plumber.

Comment

It actually was leaking at the seal. I could see the water dripping from the extra holes in the sink underneath. I should have worded my initial post differently. And yes, I did install the little screen in the hose. The hose was never leaking. What I did end up doing was removing the foam gasket and siliconing the hell out of it. Not leaking now.

Comment

Originally posted by kornbln View Post
                              It actually was leaking at the seal. I could see the water dripping from the extra holes in the sink underneath. I should have worded my initial post differently. And yes, I did install the little screen in the hose. The hose was never leaking. What I did end up doing was removing the foam gasket and siliconing the hell out of it. Not leaking now.
                              Damn shame to have to silicone a brand new faucet. Sure you don't want to back over it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X