Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for a toilet???

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
    Glynda. You must first make sure the problem is or is not within the toilets. Are they on the same level of the house? If so is it the lowest level? do the bathrooms share a common wall? When one backs up do they both back up? does water ever come up in a tub/shower when they are acting up?

yesses tend to indicate a problem in the line. no's tend to indicate a problem in the toilets. the last question is the most important.

all advice you have been given thus far has assumed you have a toilet problem, not a line problem, since that is what you originally indicated.

please answer the above questions and I or someone will tell you how to proceed.

I bring up these questions because you have mentioned some work being done on the septic lines. This leads me to believe you have had septic problems in the past, and may have them again. I would like to rule this out before telling you how to fix a toilet.

One level house, they do not share a wall and they are not backing up in shower or anywhere.
    Guest bathroom flushes when you hold the handle down I think Rick is on to something about the adjustment. a plumber said he installed a low flow something or another
    a while back but since the tank is the same size I disreguarded what he said. I should not have done that.

Master bath toilet was disassembled and taken outside last January for a month while we had a shower leak repaired and a floor put down. after reinstalling it (the construction guys reinstalled not a plumber), it seems unpredictable. Sometimes it flushes fine, sometimes the water comes up high before going down. Sometimes it seems to flush fine but after the water level is low. The water level is hardly ever the same. Also it is leaking between the tank and the bowl. There is usually a few drops of water on the bottom corner of the tank.
    and on the floor below.
    In August we had an infiltrator system put down in the yard. It was attached on to some existing lines and I had the guy installing it to look at master b toilet and Afterlooking in the tank and watching it flush he just said it was worn out they do that over time.

I went out and bought 2 toto drakes cuz I am sick of the crap (pardon the pun) and most of you guys seem to like em. Now I wonder if they need to be returnrd or installed.

Comment

If the problem is the toilet and the vents are plugged, I usually get all the water out of the trap in the toilet and then pour some Santeen De-Limer in the overflow tube. This will clean out the vents really well.

If you choose to do this, take caution and use rubber gloves and protective eyewear.
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Glynda,

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like you problems are in the toilets. Agree, Rick called it; the one you have to hold the lever on has a flapper that closes too early. get another flapper, or one of the foam floats that clips on the chain. If your chain has such a float already, move it down low on the chain right next to the flapper.

The other I suspect has been mounted off center such that the exit hole of the toilet is not centered over the hole it drains into. Also, people who don't install a lot of toilets tend to err on the side of too much wax ring, using a jumbo where not needed or sometimes doubling up two rings. You need to pull this toilet and replace the wax ring anyway as it is leaking at the floor. I suspect you will find a bunch of excess wax spluged around and partially blocking the flowpath, or a plastic horn from a wax ring crooked and partially blocking the flowpath.

Replacing with the drakes would solve your problems. Might be worth the $ just to get it over with rather than lugging them back to the store.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          Glynda,

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like you problems are in the toilets. Agree, Rick called it; the one you have to hold the lever on has a flapper that closes too early. get another flapper, or one of the foam floats that clips on the chain. If your chain has such a float already, move it down low on the chain right next to the flapper.

The other I suspect has been mounted off center such that the exit hole of the toilet is not centered over the hole it drains into. Also, people who don't install a lot of toilets tend to err on the side of too much wax ring, using a jumbo where not needed or sometimes doubling up two rings. You need to pull this toilet and replace the wax ring anyway as it is leaking at the floor. I suspect you will find a bunch of excess wax spluged around and partially blocking the flowpath, or a plastic horn from a wax ring crooked and partially blocking the flowpath.

Replacing with the drakes would solve your problems. Might be worth the $ just to get it over with rather than lugging them back to the store.
          Once again you guys are helpful. I appreciate all of the feedback. I ended up installing the drakes and LOVING them.

You were right in both of the things you said here however.

Anyway, I was over them both and ready to move on so I did. By the way, this forum is where I learned about the totos,

Keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by ace sewer View Post
            something that doesn't really matter and won't be the cause of your problem
            lol
            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
            X