X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a toilet???

Still have a weak flush. Thought I needed new septic lines and I probably did but my flush in both bathrooms is still weak after the new system. Do toilets wear out? The guy who put the infiltration system in said they were worn out. Whatchathink?
    Toilets installed in 1985-86.
    ot so quick to listen to this gem cuz he put five huge holes in the yard this summer with a freakin tractor looking for the lines. During the meeting/consultation to get the estimate for the job his partner told me they wouldn't have to dig all over the yard looking...they have technology that allowed them to listen for water underground====Oh yeah I bought it

Re: Time for a toilet???

If you are in an area with hard water it is possible. Sometimes rust plugs up the holes in the rim around the toilet bowl. Try adding a small pitcher of water down at the same time the toilet is flushing. If the water goes down immediately the problem is in the toilet.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Hi Glynda and good luck.

Try filling up a good size pail with water and pouring it fast into the bowl of each problem toilet. Does it go down fast with a good glugging? If yes, then the problem is that the water in the tank isn't getting into the bowl quickly. As DP said sometimes the little holes around the underside of the bowl clog up. You could take a wire coat hanger, cut it and bend it so you can poke out the holes. That's helped me before. It could also be the flapper doesn't fully open (lift up) when you flush. Try holding down the flush lever and keep it held down until all of the flush finishes. Did that help?

Do you remember the same toilets having a good flush some time back?

Comment

Originally posted by Glynda View Post
        Still have a weak flush. Thought I needed new septic lines and I probably did but my flush in both bathrooms is still weak after the new system. Do toilets wear out? The guy who put the infiltration system in said they were worn out. Whatchathink?
        Toilets installed in 1985-86.
        ot so quick to listen to this gem cuz he put five huge holes in the yard this summer with a freakin tractor looking for the lines. During the meeting/consultation to get the estimate for the job his partner told me they wouldn't have to dig all over the yard looking...they have technology that allowed them to listen for water underground====Oh yeah I bought it
        Is your cleanout full of water?Remove the plug,look inside while your washing machine is dumping a load of water.Have your tubs full and draining while you do this.(1)IF little or no water running through the pipe,rod back under the house.(2)If water is rising in the cleanout,then the line is clogged between the house and the outgoing line.{The tank itself is included in this.}NO CLEAN to look in?(3) Look down the 4"/3" vent if possible,if not pull a toliet and see if water is sitting in the toliet sweep,if so rod the line.(4)Vacumn water from the toliet tank and bowl ,take outside on the grass,turn upside down and look into the bottom of the toliet,if you see a q-tip or other object,remove it.(5)aslo try pouring a 5 gallon bucket of water down the toliet while while it is upside down.(6) aslo auger toliet with a closet auger while it is upside down.(7) HAVE HELP. --------------(8)Honest plumber or drain cleaner will find the source of your problem within 2 hrs,I would think.-----------A lot of words,not spaced for easy reading, BUT I hope this helps some.
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Have you ever noticed that every other flush was good?

Comment

I usually have some tool like a small screwdriver, the type that you can clip in your pocket, with the end bent at 90 degrees, to clean those holes in the toilet. In addition, if they have a visible jet in the bowl, it can also plug up. For that you need something a bit larger.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
              Great question rookie! Fill tube flopped out and bowl not refilling. If this is your symptom loook in the tank for a little tube to be peeing water when the toilet is refilling after a flush; this tube must be pointed into the pipe coming up in the middle of the tank and must be flowing water when the toilet is refilling after a flush.

Agree with others poke the holes in the rim with a wire.

If all this fails, empty the toilet, remove the flapper, and pour muriatic acid into the hole the flapper covered.

The porcelain does not wear out, though it sometimes gunks up with hard water deposits.

All this presupposes no problem in line (which if I understand you has been replaced) and no object caught in toilet.
              Last edited by Ace Sewer; 11-07-2008, 02:48 AM.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Have you checked the vent to see if it's clear?

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
                  Have you checked the vent to see if it's clear?
                  Tell me more about this...what is the vent?

Comment

Tell me more about this...what is the vent?
                    something that doesn't really matter and won't be the cause of your problem
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                      Two different bathrooms and probably two different problems. Master bath started after toilet was taken out and subfloor and tile floor replaced.

Best I remember guest bath started after hydrojetting the lines going out of the septic tank and into the yard. Around the same time the house was replumbed due to pipes put in before 1996. Not sure if either of those could have caused something. Some time later I had a new flapper put on but toilet clogs easily and we have to hold the flush down to clear the bowl.

Comment

You need to find a new plumber, it seems some unneeded work has been done.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Two different bathrooms and probably two different problems. Master bath started after toilet was taken out and subfloor and tile floor replaced.

Best I remember guest bath started after hydrojetting the lines going out of the septic tank and into the yard. Around the same time the house was replumbed due to pipes put in before 1996. Not sure if either of those could have caused something. Some time later I had a new flapper put on but toilet clogs easily and we have to hold the flush down to clear the bowl.
                          Glynda. You must first make sure the problem is or is not within the toilets. Are they on the same level of the house? If so is it the lowest level? do the bathrooms share a common wall? When one backs up do they both back up? does water ever come up in a tub/shower when they are acting up?

yesses tend to indicate a problem in the line. no's tend to indicate a problem in the toilets. the last question is the most important.

all advice you have been given thus far has assumed you have a toilet problem, not a line problem, since that is what you originally indicated.

please answer the above questions and I or someone will tell you how to proceed.

I bring up these questions because you have mentioned some work being done on the septic lines. This leads me to believe you have had septic problems in the past, and may have them again. I would like to rule this out before telling you how to fix a toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            You need to find a new plumber, it seems some unneeded work has been done.
                            sounds like it... if everything put in before 1996 needed to be replaced, we'd all be too busy to sit here and type.

Comment

sounds like the flapper is a low flow that needs to be properly adjusted to allow for a longer flush.

if you hold the handle, and it flushes properly. then an adjustment is all you need.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X