Tub/Toilet Venting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tub/Toilet Venting

I am re-configuring my bathroom such that the tub is now going to be on a common waste line with the toilet. An existing 3" line leads to the toilet and is tied into the main stack on the other end that is 3" pipe downward and heads upward to vent out the roof.

I am planning to use a reducing wye (3" to 1.5") to tie into the line to the toilet . The wye will be about 20" from the drop at the main stack and about 24" of 1.5" piping is required between the wye and the tub trap. My question is in regards to venting. Do I need to run a vent line after my wye on the tub line to tie back into my vent stack? My inclination is that it would work fine without the vent as the 3" line will always have some air in it unless the toilet is flushed at the same time as the tub drains. Also, the tub trap is < 4 ft from the main stack that is vented already.

Thoughts??

Re: Tub/Toilet Venting

Add the vent, it's not much more work, and while Not having it may work fine, do you really want to find a gurgle, or a trap getting sucked dry after you have it all back together?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Draw something and post it.
      sigpic

Comment

Here is a quick sketch: http://picasaweb.google.com/cjtully/...99906822545778. The 3" line running horizontally hits the main stack in the wall on the right that goes up thru the roof and downward. Do I really need the vent line indicated for the tub?

Comment

I like the corner tub lay-outs.Your asking too much from an 1-1/2 line.There will be drainage issues especially with that of volume.You need to use a two inch drain line with a vent within 3'-6" of the trap(if you want to use an 1-1/2" trap)or5'-0" for a two inch trap.It's not that there is air in the system(Your original comment) it's that this air has positive and negative pressures that effect the plumbings ability to work properly.
          Last edited by drtyhands; 11-09-2008, 04:16 PM.

Comment

It sounds like a vent for the tub is required. In that case, I am unsure how I can reasonably expect to vent the configuration without running a vent line horizontally.

My tub drain wye's into the 3" common drain that is shared with the toilet about 18" from the tub's trap. I assume I have to get the vent takeoff somewhere within this 18". However, this location falls about 24" from the wall where the vent line is so I cannot go vertical until that point. What am I missing?

Comment

I don't know,sounds like you may be trying to tie into the trap arm of the toilet(pipe between toilet and it's vent).This is a no-no.You need to get downstream of the toilet's vent to tie in the waste line.You may not need a vent if it can be verticaly wet vented.

Pictures would help.

Comment

Hey,I just read your opening post.This morning I thought I read 20' of inch and a half pipe.

20" of it is fine to drain a tub as long as you can protect the trap seal with a proper vent.

Comment

Working...
                X