Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charge??

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
    Hey what do you guys charge acquatinces and extended family?
    And then what do you charge Friends and family? I always feel weird about doing this and i was just trying to get some insight? Any help would be really appreciated

Dunbar's comment has been removed for violating the terms of service.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

What happened here?

Comment

Dunbar being Dunbar.
        sigpic

Comment

I have always felt that some people will call you to support your business and are not always looking for a handout. However if you feel guilty about it then i have found the best thing to do is charge what your cost is. By that i mean all cost involved (materials, labor, labor burden, overhead ratio) but no profit. If they understand that you are doing it for cost then their expectations should lower as far as timing is concerned. If you feel that they are expecting the same service as anyone else then they should pay the same price. You also have to consider warranty calls, if needed can you go back and fix it at the price you charged. But most importantly make sure that you are giving them the quality they expect and deserve, they could and should be the root of referals in the future. It is imperitive that everyone is on the same page and there are no suprised at the end when its time to write the check.

And remember that if your aren't fixing it someone else will be. Sometimes no one will win in this situation and someone else may be the best alternative and you should just be too busy.

Comment

I've got a aunt and uncle that I've done quality work for at a discount for the last@15 years and one of thier kids ( cousin ), Realiized none of them have NEVER sent a referral my way and they know a lot of people . Now I'm just to busy to get to them.

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Dunbar being Dunbar.

Damn straight.

This subject had me throwing pause to my statements knowing this is a public forum, and my comments towards others *family* could be a tough pill to swallow in a moment of recollection.

However, that doesn't mean what I'd put to print isn't true. I'm just...refraining at the present moment and time.

Talk about churches and foundations if you really want to see me get fired up.

I do work for "some" family members...but that's a short list at best. The rest have all taken from me without me ever asking for 1 thing in return.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I have to charge my family, except my mom & grandma. They will keep finding work for me to do so, I tell them 20.00/hr plus materials. I still get plenty of work but it makes them think twice before picking up the phone.
                I refer to family work as "tool money".

So called "Friends" I charge at the normal rate. I don't ask my accountant buddy to bring his computer to my house at 7:00 on a Saturday, pay my bills and balance my check book for free after he spent all week doing that for his employer.

I have learned that true friends are rare. If you have a great friend hold on to them. I have had one great friend in my life and I really miss him. I would have plumbed his entire house and paid for all the materials for free.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                  I have to charge my family, except my mom & grandma. They will keep finding work for me to do so, I tell them 20.00/hr plus materials. I still get plenty of work but it makes them think twice before picking up the phone.
                  I refer to family work as "tool money".

So called "Friends" I charge at the normal rate. I don't ask my accountant buddy to bring his computer to my house at 7:00 on a Saturday, pay my bills and balance my check book for free after he spent all week doing that for his employer.

I have learned that true friends are rare. If you have a great friend hold on to them. I have had one great friend in my life and I really miss him. I would have plumbed his entire house and paid for all the materials for free.

Hey Friend!!!! Did I mention I am building a house right now and need a plumber Friend Haha J/k I had a friend like that once too. He got hit by a mack truck and now has severe brain damage he does not even know who I am when I see him......

Comment

I always find it strange that people will offer beer as a payment. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a nice beer from time to time, but I find it a slight slap in the face....if you install a kitchen faucet or repair/replace anything and it takes 1 hour or more and they pay you with one 6-pack. To me that's like paying me less than $10/hour. Seems strange....

I think you should help people out when they need it. If they are a family member or friend you will know more background information on their current financial situation. If it is just someone looking for a good deal, keep in mind, there is always someone else out there that will do it cheaper. Cheaper does not always = better. Going cheaper also hurts the trade industry as a whole. In my area there is plenty of work for everyone. If everyone charged 'around' the same amount then people would not be able to "get a good deal" from someone that is trying to keep the market down. I'm not suggesting that everyone jack their prices through the roof, but I do think if it was more even across the board and people didn't do "side-jobs" for less then the "going rate" then the industry as a whole would be better off.

Go with your gut and take pride in your work.

Just my 2 cents.
                    Gus
                    M40607

Comment

Working...
                    X