X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge??

Hey what do you guys charge acquatinces and extended family?
    And then what do you charge Friends and family? I always feel weird about doing this and i was just trying to get some insight? Any help would be really appreciated
    Last edited by BrandonG; 11-08-2008, 09:25 PM. Reason: Spelling HAHA

Re: Charge??

I,Myself ,wouldn't charge more than an additional 30 percent, for friends and Family over strangers
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

People will take advantage of us if we let them, I was invited many years ago to quite a few barbecue's and asked to bring my tools. If I am doing work myself for a family member, I only charged my cost for parts. If it is a big job that requires members of my crew then it is my cost for parts and then my guys hourly wage and believe me that's a bargain. No mark up anywhere. For my parent's , no charge for anything. For friend's I play it by ear, sometimes there may be a financial problem in the house that will require you to do some work for free (that's what friends are for) for others it's just the regular rate, the way I see it, when your running an honest show, just showing up and treating them fairly is a bargain. Some people will never be happy, all they need to do is use somebody else to realize the difference. On the street where I live we service 90% of the households so we give a special rate that is lower than our regular rate, that way they all feel their getting a break and they don't have to ask for one, It makes driving up and down the street a lot easier. Every one of us has our own game plan that works for us, there is no one recipe that will fit for all of us but with additional comments from other members I would be interested to hear where you are now and where your headed.

Comment

I would never charge my family. Most friends realize you have a business and call on you because you will do the job right. Possibly they will get a deal, but they wont get ripped off.

Comment

I charge everyone the same, except immediate family is free. Business is business, and I work to put food on my family's table. I am not running a charity organization.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I charge friends and family 3 times the normal charge in hopes that they won't call me again.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              I charge friends and family 3 times the normal charge in hopes that they won't call me again.
              I'm surprised they would call the first time. (just kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                i,myself ,wouldn't charge more than an additional 30 percent, for friends and family over strangers
                lol:d

Comment

From the payment perspective when I need work done I call friends in the trades and fully anticipate paying the full shot. Sometimes minor tiffs arise when they try to lower the bill. If that happens I just make out the check for more money than they have charged me. If I am going to give money to someone I prefer to give it to someone I know and like. If my friends send one of their employees I always give the worker some cash. Ten or twenty dollars doesn't mean much to me for a job well done and it makes the worker's day.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    See !!!
                    I knew I was too cheep.
                    I have been using the
                    "Friends:Charge-Em nothin' or Charge-Em double" column.

Comment

Close friends and family I have found it is better to do it for free or maybe a beer. Let them buy the stuff and give them a hand. Otherwise it's just a loosing proposition at Turkey day.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                        I would never charge my family. Most friends realize you have a business and call on you because you will do the job right. Possibly they will get a deal, but they wont get ripped off.

Hey NIP, nice picture on your avatar. I surprised you can even see it.
                        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Parents-Free. I owe 'em everything. Brothers, sisters and extended family-double, I don't like most of them anyway.
                          Friends-if they need help (financially), well, that's what friends are for. It's cheaper than giving them cash. If they just call me because they know and trust me, full price, that's what they expect.

And like Tom, I tip every employee that comes to my house (unless they're a complete jerk.) Even when I call one of the drain companies out to one of my jobs, I'll tip the tech. Unlike the stocks and diets-it guarantees future success!
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Family is free... maybe they pay for parts, maybe not depending on their circumstances and mine and the job. The are many friends I consider family. There is blood I do not consider family.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                              X