X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orangeburg Pipe

I found a hole in, and a portion of the Orangeburg collapsed, that drains my gutter downspouts to the street. I need to add about 4 feet of pipe to the end of the Orangeburg to a 90 to re-connect the gutter. Does PVC or ABS match the Orangeburg pipe diameter? What is best for buried pipe in this application?

Re: Orangeburg Pipe

Replace the Orangeberg pipe... It will give you nothing but trouble.

Replace it all with SCH 40 PVC.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      Replace the Orangeberg pipe... It will give you nothing but trouble.

Replace it all with SCH 40 PVC.

Okie
      Would the much cheaper HDPE pipe work for this application?

Comment

One run is 65 feet, it is clean and not collapsed expect on the one end. The other line is 85 feet, there is 4 feet that is clogged with dirt mostly. I'm not digging it all up until I need to.

Comment

CPW: Yes HDPE would work in this situation though the cost difference is minimal. It has been my experience when I mention HDPE to a DIY'er they give me that deer in the headlight look

Nkyrental: For what you want to do, a length of pipe in any type of pipe you mentioned and a fernco or two should work... A band-aid fix to be sure...

Comment

Since this is a roof drain to street, I would not fret over it a lot. Yes the white poly drain pipe will be fine. Fittings probably won't match, and I would not spend more on some specialized sizes of Fernco than it would cost to just dig it all up! Between the socket ends on the poly, and possibly some DwV to SDR adapters available wherever the poly is sold ( HD, etc) you can probably piece it together. Get a couple of rolls of the black 20 mil pipe tape.....good to go.

Obviously if this was a sewer lateral, the above advice would not apply. But in the current instance, that is my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

Comment

agree it should all be replaced; the stuff is junk

agree in this application and for what you want to accomplish a band-aid is fine

try to find a size of plastic pipe of some sort that will just slip inside the orangeburgh; this stuff is so flimsy and brittle that when you try to clamp a fernco around the outside of it you will likely crush it if i is not backed up on the inside diameter with something.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I found a local old timers plumbing store that had a few asphalt-based unions that looked like the orangeburg pipe. They fit the orangeburg fine, and 4 " PVC was squeezed into the fitting. Should be good for a few years. At least the repairs are on the end of the pipe run, so it will be easy to see if they are holding.
                I guess the orangeburg was a "good idea" when it was invented because since it is asphaltic, it would not break down under ground? Seems like if you put it 2 or 3 feet under ground, over time it would flatten itself.

Comment

Working...
                X