floor drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floor drain

i live in a house that was built in the 20's. it has a full basement and one floor drain near the wall of the house. i would like to have a shower stall constructed and of course, would need it to drain. my question, is it allowable to run drain pipe on the surface of the floor to the floor drain? or is it against code uless the floor is dug up and the line installed under the slab? any suggestions for the least involved method?
    thanks a bunch.

Re: floor drain

ummmmmmmm.

Comment

no

Comment

i was hoping for more elaboration.

Comment

absolutely NO, that's HACKTOWN STUFF,ASK VINCE
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

How would you tie in to the floor drain and still have a floor drain?

Raising the floor enough to put in a drain and slope it leads to low ceilings and screams "hack job".

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              absolutely NO, that's HACKTOWN STUFF,ASK VINCE
              yup!!

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
                i was hoping for more elaboration.
                halfpint,

i think the guys are a little apprehensive to say anything for fear legal issues.

have you thought about hiring a certified plumber?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                  halfpint,

i think the guys are a little apprehensive to say anything for fear legal issues.

have you thought about hiring a certified plumber?

Vince
                  yes i have. my thoughts were what would be done with the floor drain? would this not figure in to the project at all? i guess i'm wondering if it would be worth the expense or just keep this house a one bathroom shed.

Comment

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
                    yes i have. my thoughts were what would be done with the floor drain? would this not figure in to the project at all? i guess i'm wondering if it would be worth the expense or just keep this house a one bathroom shed.

I think that depends on the value of homes in your area and the cost of the project

Contact a few licensed plumbers in your area and gather a few estimates so you have some real numbers to factor into your decision making...

Okie

Comment

Just wondering....if the house was built in the 20s, wouldn't the floor drain be tied to the grey water? If so would it have a p-trap? I would assume the floor drain was intended for emergency purposes, not heavy use. Do you know where the current floor drain is going? Is it tied into the sewer or is it grey water? Does it have a p-trap?

Another question...a shower produces a lot of water, wouldn't you need a vent for this drain to keep up?
                      Gus
                      M40607

Comment

Originally posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
                        Just wondering....if the house was built in the 20s, wouldn't the floor drain be tied to the grey water? If so would it have a p-trap? I would assume the floor drain was intended for emergency purposes, not heavy use. Do you know where the current floor drain is going? Is it tied into the sewer or is it grey water? Does it have a p-trap?

Another question...a shower produces a lot of water, wouldn't you need a vent for this drain to keep up?

the floor drain definetly runs to the street sewer. i don't think it has a p-trap under the floor because it smells when i lift the heavy cover that sits in a type of moat of water surrounding the cover. did i spell moat correctly?

Comment

Here's a free-standing shower that has a side drain to go to a floor drain. One assumes that the shower will be close to the drain.

If there is water standing in the drain, there is probably a trap. But you need to be absolutely certain that this is actually a drain that's hooked to the sewer and not a french drain, which is usually a barrel full of gravel under the floor.

These are not particularly cheap, but they're made better than many others, and a door is available that fits them.

Comment

You would have to check your town codes. It would be considered an indirect waste if dumping right into the drain cover and not connecting to the piping underground. Shower water also may be considered gray water like a sink waste,you might be able to do it if you raise the shower floor. Being you have the drain there already and provided it is a 3" waste line like it should be for a floor drain to the sewer,you could put a complete three piece bathroom there. Putting in a shower is half the work of the three piece bath. You need waste, water, and vent lines for the shower,so you might want to do a little more work and put the whole bath in.

Comment

If We touch an old floor drain in SF ,We must install a trap primer, Makes sense.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X