Slab leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slab leak

This is my first post, came across this forum while googling for a solution for a slab leak.
    here are some facts: house built on slab/copper pipe built in 70's/in so-cal
    Couple of days before i felt floor hot & called a plumber, today he opened up a hole in slab found the leak but said he cannot soldier the pipe as it has deteriorated too much (he showed me how a 1/2" copper coupling was sliding above the old pipe hence too big a gap for soldier to stay put)he tried to put a compression valve but that too wont fit, finally he got a compression valve with rubber compression nuts inside & was able to fix this. He told me this is only temp fix, i have to repipe the whole house as sooner or later we will have leaks in other places too(i think i already have another hot spot lil further then today's fix).
    Now i am in a fix, i bought this house 3 yrs ago, painted/new stone floors & now again we have to open up walls & go thru the mess.
    is there any other easy economical fix?
    Like Epoxy?
    in the worst case if we need repiping shall i go with copper or PEX?
    In today's mkt condition with already loosing chunk of my home value i hope this is not last nail in coffin.....
    Any input will be really appriciated!

Re: Slab leak

You are in Orange county so I'm guessing you don't have to worry about freezing. I would recommend a repipe with PEX done through the attic. This will cause as little damage to the walls and floors as possible.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

You can run copper on the roof ,drilled down through partitions, and insulate it. Many re piped this way in My Hood, Eichlers. Any chance You can fix Your Sister Up with a good plumber ? PS This is an option for vaulted ceiling , NO ATTIC ! Attic would be best.
      Last edited by toolaholic; 11-14-2008, 05:05 AM.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

sounds like he just slid a "g" coupling over the pin hole.

do you have a hot water recirc. system? is there a pump on the water heater?

did they cut out the bad piece of pipe so it can be examined?

it might be an isolated problem, it might be terminal. no way to tell unless the pipe could be examined from the inside.

there is a company that does epoxy reling of the water lines. most of us here don't recommend this process.

if you have an attic you can run new mains and then drop down to pick up the fixtures.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          sounds like he just slid a "g" coupling over the pin hole.

do you have a hot water recirc. system? is there a pump on the water heater?

did they cut out the bad piece of pipe so it can be examined?

it might be an isolated problem, it might be terminal. no way to tell unless the pipe could be examined from the inside.

there is a company that does epoxy reling of the water lines. most of us here don't recommend this process.

if you have an attic you can run new mains and then drop down to pick up the fixtures.

rick.
          Thanks for the replies.
          No we do not have hot water recirc. system or a pump on the water heater. He did cut the bad piece & install two valves kind of things (i am not sure what they are called). I saw the piece of pipe seems to be corroded with a pin hole.
          We do have an attic but i want to repipe as an last resort.
          To give a clearer idea i am attaching few pictures.
          Attached Files

Comment

Those are the g couplings rick was talking about. Nobody Online or in person can tell you when you next leak will be tommorrow, six months, or two years. If it's finances that are a problem wait it out but make sure you put away every penny you can to get it done. if it's ripping up walls you're worried about then find a GOOD plumber that won't just go in and tare you house up but someone who knows enough to where they can put a hole behind your mirror, pull the medicine cabinet to run line behind it, will put a hole in a closest, under sinks. Its probably best if you don't bring these items up to the plumber but to find plumber who will bring them up to you. just tell them you want minimal dry wall damage and ask where they will cut holes.

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks for quick replies.
              I will start by getting quotes so atleast i know how much we are talking here.

But i cannot decide between PEX & Copper.... any recommendations?
              The guy who fixed the current leak never even heard of PEX.... anyone knows if it is legal in Orange county?

Comment

Check with your city about pex. They probably will say its not approved but if you press the issue and jump through a few hoops you might be able to get a waiver.

wookie

Comment

Make this phone call and see what you think, I have referred these guys before on some potential repipes that would have totally torn up some incredible houses. Even though we could have done the job, all the work it would require to put everything back together would have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. They can solve your problem. Let us know what you think.

ACE DURAFLO 800 359 6369

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                    Make this phone call and see what you think, I have referred these guys before on some potential repipes that would have totally torn up some incredible houses. Even though we could have done the job, all the work it would require to put everything back together would have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. They can solve your problem. Let us know what you think.

ACE DURAFLO 800 359 6369
                    - Say it ain't so Rookie. My guess is you have not been in some of the project I have been in where I saw their attempt at a finished product.

Mark
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 11-14-2008, 10:57 PM.
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

In Florida this is an ongoing problem. Most companies down there re-pipe with cpvc but a few are using pex.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have done more repipes in FL than I care to admit. Only about 5% of them were using CPVC. The other were all using PEX. That was over 10 years ago, before many of the northern states ever heard of PEX. Most people in MI are still pretty apprehensive about this new "red/blue" tubing as I have heard a million times.
                        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Pex is the way to go in my opinion. I feel sorry for anyone that has to re plumb water lines through an attic using copper or cpvc. You are asking for trouble if you put cpvc in an attic around here. To acceptable to freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by socalresident View Post
                            Thanks for quick replies.
                            I will start by getting quotes so atleast i know how much we are talking here.

But i cannot decide between PEX & Copper.... any recommendations?
                            The guy who fixed the current leak never even heard of PEX.... anyone knows if it is legal in Orange county?
                            If he never heard of pex than he is not a plumber. You will get many opinions here on pex vs copper, my vote is copper.
                            The Other Rick

Comment

Repipe it, you may get another leak and have to chop up the floor again. You'll only have to repipe once compared to the future repairs. SoCal freezing is unlikely. Pex piping is the way to go if your going to snake it through walls and the attic for the least amount of damage, cost wise. I prefer copper and would try to go through closets and cabinets and the attic with pipe insulation on it,so the pipe doesn't sweat and it will keep the water in the pipe cold in the summer. Who wants to drink hot water or let it run until it gets cold. Save your cash and fix to last Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X