X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement backed up.. desperately need advice my wife is going to kill me

I am in desperate need of some good advice and direction.

My wife and I purchased a house recently and the previous home owner is deceased. We have our washer and dryer in the basement and that is our main issue.
    The drain goes under the basement floor and it actually has a few drain holes throughout the basement. Everytime my wife washes clothes the water backs up and comes up out of the drain holes into our basement. Sometimes she can wash 1 load.. sometimes 3 or 4 before it backs up.

How can I find out where the drain is stopped?

There is a possibility the drain was covered on the other end when we had our driveway installed but I can't be sure. How can I find out where the drain ends if it's covered up?

Re: Basement backed up.. desperately need advice my wife is going to kill me

Originally posted by aluminex View Post
    I am in desperate need of some good advice and direction.

My wife and I purchased a house recently and the previous home owner is deceased. We have our washer and dryer in the basement and that is our main issue.
    The drain goes under the basement floor and it actually has a few drain holes throughout the basement. Everytime my wife washes clothes the water backs up and comes up out of the drain holes into our basement. Sometimes she can wash 1 load.. sometimes 3 or 4 before it backs up.

How can I find out where the drain is stopped?

There is a possibility the drain was covered on the other end when we had our driveway installed but I can't be sure. How can I find out where the drain ends if it's covered up?
    You could start by hiring a plumber to snake the drain and see what he finds. If he is unable to clear the line he can use a sewer camera and locator to locate the stoppage.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

To add to the good advice Mark gave; do not look for the big ad to find your plumber. Many companies charge high fees to pay for their advertising costs. Ask around friends and family and find out where they found their plumber. If person A says "I found him in the phone book" and person B says "my brother, mom and sister have used himand recommended him", go with person B. Remember that a house is a long term investment and saving 100-200 but getting faulty workmanship isn't worth it. Ask for quotes but remember that they are coming out and will charge at least 1 hour's time. Do not ask for a free quote and be leery of any company that gives them(other than over the phone).
      Last edited by gear junkie; 11-15-2008, 01:14 PM. Reason: free speech
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Does your washer drain into a laundry sink? If so, once you've gotten your problem fixed, add one of those filter socks to the end of the washing machines drain hose. You will be amazed at how much lint one of those screens keeps from going down your drain line and clogging it up. They are very inexpensive, under a $1, and you can buy over a hundred of them for what it will cost you to have your drain line snaked out.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Get it jetted, not snaked. I'll bet $ it's a cast iron line full of lint and flakes of rust off the pipe.

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Does your washer drain into a laundry sink? If so, once you've gotten your problem fixed, add one of those filter socks to the end of the washing machines drain hose. You will be amazed at how much lint one of those screens keeps from going down your drain line and clogging it up. They are very inexpensive, under a $1, and you can buy over a hundred of them for what it will cost you to have your drain line snaked out.
          Make sure it's tied on tight if you just stuff the hose down the hole in the box in the wall; I've pulled more than one out of a line after it blew off and went down in.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I did one of these today, one handed!

Ran 75' out with my 100 and I've got the end of my cable bent on a hard angle that there's no way I'm not scouring that entire pipe.

The cable came back with aged dry black waste on it. This line carries everything but the toilets, dedicated gray water line. Septic tank is toilets only.

'Down in the country'
            'Out in da Street'
            'There's a white man a comin'
            'Sayin there's poop on his feet'
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

There is soo much info We don't have. Are You on a septic? Does it need pumping?
              You probably need that line scoured good.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'll bet the washer is drained into the foundation perimeter drains.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  I'll bet the washer is drained into the foundation perimeter drains.
                  Great idea, guess You are the Master
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                  X