Pool drained

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool drained

I have a pool almost drained. Will be a good idea to leave in this way for the winter - we are in Tucson, AZ - or get the pool up and running? Poll guys say leaving a pool dry is a bad thing.
    Opinions are appreciated and thanks.

Re: Pool drained

It depends on how high your ground water can come up. I've seen in-ground concrete pools lifted 2-3 feet out of the ground when drained and the water table is high or rises.
    Probably not much of an issue in Tucson unless you have a large rainfall.

Personally, I'd leave it filled to save on water.

Comment

The only thing keeping your pool in the ground is the weight of the water. Without the water there is a very good chance it will float from even a good rain.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

leaving your pool dry is a bad thing! I live near Phoenix....

The sun will destroy your plaster or if it has the newer coating of fiberglass gel coat!

Never leave the pool without water. To save electricity you can reduce the run time of the filter to say 4 hours at night during the Tucson winter .

If you drain your pool and leave it dry the plaster can also crack! and then you'll have leaks and a very costly repair job!

Finally to repeat: keep your pool filled with water

Now you'll reply that you see public pools that are drained..Often they drain it to repaint the row lines and service the pool. Once the work is finished and it can take a few weeks they refill the pool to its maximum levels.

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks, what a wonderful forum!!!!

Comment

In Toronto, Canada, leaving your inground pool empty can cause it to heave due to frost. The water in the pool will actually protect the pool in that only the surface will freeze, but not all 8 feet deep, thereby protecting the bottom. All we do is simpy lower the water level a few feet then completely cover it.

Comment

Keep water in the pool, or you'll have to let the skateboarders use it.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                The only thing keeping your pool in the ground is the weight of the water. Without the water there is a very good chance it will float from even a good rain.

Mark
                i can't wait to tell the guys at work about this.

i don't think they're going to believe me.

we have a above ground public pool here.

a floating pool. that kills me mark.

Vince

probably wouldn't be cheap to repair i'll bet. would the pool have to be replaced??

Comment

Working...
                X