X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a Moen 1224 Cartridge

I am replacing a Moen 1224 cartridge in the Monicello bathroom sink faucet. I have replaced many Moen cartridges but not this style. The factory has shipped me a cartridge removal tool #14272 no charge. The only problem is the tool simply stripped the head of plastic hold down nut which is seized (plastic nut holding the catridge in). (yes I soaked it in penetrating oil over night). Now I am thinking of the best way to get the nut out. Is drilling with a small bit the answer? Is trying to chisel it out with a small screwdriver the way to go? Should I try to "melt or soften" it with a torch then pull it out? What have you plumber down in this situation? I would replace the fixture but it cost $300 and is only 5 years old. Thanks.

Re: Replacing a Moen 1224 Cartridge

A 22oz frameing hammer or a sawzall will remove it

Moen Strikes Again.

Since you've stripped it already, now you are at the keep messing with it point. Eventually it will come loose if pressure is properly applied.
    sigpic

Comment

I have replaced a few 1224 cartidges and I can say i have never noticed a plastic nut on any of them usually they have been metal.
      Is this a faucet that was purchased at Home Depot?
      I have had very few problems with the Moen faucets I have purchased from the plumbing supply houses but Moen does make a secondary cheaper line that they sell at your DIY stores that I would not recommend using.
      But Moen is great to deal with on thier warrantees just call them back if you cant get it repaired and a lot of the time they will send you the whole faucet if thats what it takes.
      Good luck

Comment

The nut is definitely plastic not metal, because Moen sent me the replacement parts for it in a seal pouch from their factory at no cost. This is a high end Monticello style faucet, 8". It has raise "chunky" chrome plated brass handles that screw onto the body. Its not a cheap faucet. They told me to call back if I could not get the cartridge out and "we'll see what we can do for you". The customer service is great, I will admit that.

Here is the link to the parts diagram:

http://www.moen.ca/shared/pdf/4572pt.pdf

Comment

it's similar to their high flow roman tub stems. i have the metal removal tool and it works fine.

moen should realize the issue and ship you a new complete stem.

funny part is their world headquarters is right near ridgid's world headquarters.

the couple times i've been to ohio, i see moen and ridgid visitors in the same hotel.

call them and they should take care of you. that's the nice thing with domestic companies.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            funny part is their world headquarters is right near ridgid's world headquarters.

the couple times i've been to ohio, i see moen and ridgid visitors in the same hotel.
            Now that mention it, I do remeber seeing some Moen guys at the hotel we stayed at during the roundup.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Now that mention it, I do remeber seeing some Moen guys at the hotel we stayed at during the roundup.
              Yea, they were all the bald guys that pulled their hair out working on those pieces of crap.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                I don't get how you could remember.Every time we drove by you were asleep.
                It is understandable though with all the amusment rides,arm wrestling and such.

Comment

Now that it is stripped I think there is only one answer to your question. Remove the stem from the sink and apply enough heat until the retaining nut softens up enough until it is completely melted or softens up enough where it can be removed with an o-ring pick or similiar.
                  Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                    Now that it is stripped I think there is only one answer to your question. Remove the stem from the sink and apply enough heat until the retaining nut softens up enough until it is completely melted or softens up enough where it can be removed with an o-ring pick or similiar.

There's something "special" about having to fry the cartridge out of a faucet, isn't there?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      Removing the stem assembly from the sink and applying heat just to get the plastic retainer off is an act of a desperate man. Most likely it will cook the stem and o-rings to a point where nothing can be done.

Call Moen and get a new stem body or just replace the damn thing and be done with it

Comment

OK, I finally got the retaining nut out. My method was to drill down into the pastic nut with a very small drill bit (1/16") enough to weaken the nut. I drilled about 7-8 tiny holes. The plastic was so brittle that when I started to pull it out with needle nose pliers it began to break apart. I simply removed all the broken pieces, pulled out the cartridge, flushed with water, and replaced everything that Moen sent me. Everything works perfect now. I will post a picture of the broken plastic nut when I get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                          OK, I finally got the retaining nut out. My method was to drill down into the pastic nut with a very small drill bit (1/16") enough to weaken the nut. I drilled about 7-8 tiny holes. The plastic was so brittle that when I started to pull it out with needle nose pliers it began to break apart. I simply removed all the broken pieces, pulled out the cartridge, flushed with water, and replaced everything that Moen sent me. Everything works perfect now. I will post a picture of the broken plastic nut when I get a chance.

See how easy that was.
                          sigpic

Comment

OK, here are the photos of the pastic retaining nut all drilled out and the new nut that Moen sent me. Was a B**** but I got the cartridge out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

What were they calling the retaining nut? The closest thing I can find in the diagram is sold with the stem extension kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X