salt down the drain??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salt down the drain??

"Man that is a bummer our basement sink backed up and my basement was flooded as well. Just an FYI....My dad swears by regular table salt down the drain every so often and this keeps the tree roots from growing in your lines. He said it was one of his grandpa's remedies and says it really works."

Saw this quote on a twins forum and wondered if that was true? Salt down the drain...?

Re: salt down the drain??

At least you're asking BEFORE you try it
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

helen, can you wait til the next roundup

that will give josh time to grab a k-60

you time to bake a pie

and time for bill, ben, adam, and myself to get there

actually i would advise either copper sulfate or root-x as a treatment.

salt is too corrosive and i doubt that you would want to replace your lines.

in the meantime just have josh bring home a ridgid shop vac and a ridgid sump pump

just cleared my schedule and i'm free next thursday

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Dunno what it does or doesn't do for roots, but flushing rock salt is actually pretty effective for keeping lines with bellies in them from freezing. Kind of a balancing act to flush enough but not too much.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

No need to wait for the roundup I am right around the corner and have my own K-60 so your hubby wont have to bring one from work.
          Just kiddin Rick wouldnt want to take away all of your fun next time we meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            Dunno what it does or doesn't do for roots, but flushing rock salt is actually pretty effective for keeping lines with bellies in them from freezing. Kind of a balancing act to flush enough but not too much.

I've heard this works, but what about someone on a septic system? Think doing this would get them through the winter so digging could be done in the spring when the ground is soft (much cheaper $$$)?
            I'm guessing it would be OK provided they have their tank pumped in the spring as well.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Sumo wrestlers use it , seems to work for them

Comment

Working...
              X