X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom floor around toilet

Hi, I'm new here, but I have a question about something that has been bothering me for a while. I have two toilets (one on the second floor, one on the first floor, house has no basement). There is slight, I mean you have to bend down and look, grey color in the linoleum around the toilet downstairs in a few spots. I had my handyman look at it last year and he said nothing was wrong. He even replaced the wax ring because I was worried it was leaking. I didn't replace the floor or anything, but I was wondering what would cause this. As for upstairs, I just recently had major problems with the toilet but it is finally fixed. However, I noticed one or two very slight grey spot in the linoleum. Any ideas? Can it be water outside like condensation? The house is only 8 years.

Thanks.

Re: Bathroom floor around toilet

Mold is probably underneath the linoleum and bleeding through the thin linoleum.

If the leakage has stopped, it's cosmetic at this point.

If the spots continue to grow, that means that there's a leak and a repair is needed.

Pull the first floor toilet and inspect to see if the floor has taken on water damage of some type.

Take pictures as well, post them.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

let me guess

your toilets are not caulked to the floor

caulking prevents any moisture, mopping, misses from getting under the toilet and creating a very unsanitary condition. not to mention it stabilizes a toilet that rocks.

by the way, it's required by all plumbing codes

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the help. No, no, it is caulked! I'm not sure if the caulking had holes or anything, but I had the downstairs one recaulked after he replaced the wax ring. The upstairs was recaulked recently after some fixes too. I'll try to take pictures tonight and post. I hope it's not mold -- I'll have to get the handyman to do it.

Comment

Don't jump to the mold conclusion just yet, what your seeing is definitely moisture related and it's not going to go away even if you pull and reset the toilet. A lot of times I will take a spot on a ceiling and go around the perimeter with a pencil to see if over a period of time the spot creeps past the pencil mark, is there any way you can mark your floor or cut out a paper outline to see if this thing is growing? Ultimately you will end up with some new flooring at some point.

Comment

Not many houses in Wash DC that are only 8 years old

Could you or your cleaning service used some caustic chemicals to clean the toilet?

What type of major problem did you have with the second floor toilet?

I need a good handyman......

Comment

Lol. No, I don't live directly in the city, I live in one of the suburbs. I thought I'd put DC since I feel like I'm in the city most of the time.

The second floor toilet -- I had to replace everything in the tank and the gasket. It was such a pain. I also had to replace the water valve connected to it because it was leaking.

I'm trying to take pictures but it's not turning out well. You can't really see the discoloration.

I think the discoloration is spreading downstairs but I'm not sure...maybe I'll try to mark it and see if gets larger. The one upstairs is pretty small and won't show up on my digital camera.

Comment

Okay I took the best pictures I could -- the first is the upstairs toilet. You can't really see it, it's very blurry, but I gave it a shot. All I know is that the discoloration wasn't there before. The last two are from downstairs -- I hope you can see the grey color. I wonder if it's whatever is underneath? It seems like concrete, since it's the first floor and we don't have a basement. Thanks for your help.
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to keep posting but the second picture, there is a shadow making it look like there is a big grey spot. It doesn't look like that, it's much more smaller and not as dark. So maybe just go with the third picture.

Comment

That doesn't look like anything to worry about. It is probably discoloration from a point when the toilet wasn't caulked

Comment

I agree with Rombo, the caulking job on the middle picture has "handyman" written all over it.

Comment

Anything noticeable on the ceiling or walls directly below the second floor toilet? Feel around; soft? damp? cooler areas?

Wait and see if it grows. Watch it for wetness. If it progresses, you've got to do something about it.

Or pull the toilets off and check for wetness underneath them. If you pull the toilets, check closely for hairline cracks in the bottom of them when you go to replace the rings.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Hmm, the toilet has always been caulked, except for when I had the handyman recaulk or check the wax ring.

I'll try to check the walls underneath today. I don't usually call my handyman unless there is more than one project to do, so I'll see if this grows before I call him to check underneath.

Comment

Just wanted to say that the walls underneath the bathroom are fine and I don't feel any wetness on the floor or anywhere. I guess I will see if this grows, although part of me just wants to rip up the toilets and make sure.

Comment

Hi everyone -- Just an update on this problem. I watched the discoloration and it did grow (upstairs toilet). We pulled the toilet today and the wax ring was indeed leaking. My estimate is that it's been leaking for a couple of months soooo goes to show that I should have checked back in November. There is no water damage on the ceiling downstairs and there's some wetness and rotting to the floor, only around the flange.

I'm going to replace the bathroom floor in the spring. Do you think it's okay to leave the floor as it is until the spring? We replaced the wax ring and flushed a couple of times, no leaking. We caulked around the toilet afterwards. I hope I can wait until April or so (time and $ issues).

Comment

Working...
                              X