Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sewer line replacement. (MIS DIG Problems.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer line replacement. (MIS DIG Problems.)

I am replacing a sewer line in Lansing, MI and I called MIS DIG and had them mark all the utilities. There was no paint or flags in the area we needed to dig. About tens minutes into digging we grazed the top of a water line. I stopped digging at 9:05am and called the city right a way. They sent the inspector out and he said the line looked fine but I should have the line relocated he called the water company and they said they would send a guy right out because it was an emergency. About two hrs later he showed up with his partner. They looked in the hole and came to the conclusion that sure enough that’s a water line and they don't mark water lines they need to call our supervisor he does that. About 5min later he arrived said that it is MIS DIGs problem but he thinks the line needs to be repaired because there was to small dents about 1/4 round 1/16 or less deep. It will be a quick fix while we wait for MIS DIG to remark. About 3hrs later they changed 3' of 3/4 copper line and it took three guys. MIS DIG came rolling in 3hrs late for an emergency locating and remarked it. Then the supervisor from the water company asks for my info because he needs to know wear to send the bill. It is now a little after 2:00pm and the whole day was wasted because of MIG DIG bad locating job. Does anyone now if there is any way to go after MIS DIG for wasting my time, and money? Thanks for any advise. Sorry it’s long.

Re: Sewer line replacement. (MIS DIG Problems.)

Don't pay the bill. take pictures of everything. When You blow them off and they talk court.
    You point out EVERYONE will be served and have to spend the day in court. Go to both offices and get everyone's info. Worked for Me! good luck
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would of gave them MIS DIG's info. Threaten to sue them, just like toolaholic said.

What would of happen if you hit a gas line and you died? That's MIS DIG's fault for not properly marking it.

I don't get why they need a supervisor to mark waterlines If they don't usually do them unless its requested (or for whatever reason), then you might have to eat the cost. You might have to find out their policy.

Good luck with that, Carl. I hope everything works out.
      Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 11-19-2008, 11:25 PM.
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Misdig policy in my neighborhood is that 2' from both sides of the mark is to be hand dug. BTW, don't ever cover the marks with your spoil pile. It's been more than once that I've had to dig up spoil pile to find the mark underneath to save my a$$.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

When I was in construction I got burned a couple of times. With no proof of paint marks you can't prove that you did not dig them up.
          It didn't take long to learn to take pics of EVERYTHING before equipment comes off the truck. On big projects someone would cover the entire project with a video camera. It can be a pain, but well worth it when you rip through a 48pair phone line.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

when I lived and worked in North Carolina we hit a fiber optic bundle a little bigger around than my arm. the locator's had marked it about 12' from where it was. we called the locaters emergency line and kept digging, it had already been torn through, and slowing us down wasn't going to get the line repaired any faster. I don't recall how many Thousands of dollars they wanted to bill us, but it all fell back on NC's one call system, not our problem
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Sorry, I thought the OP was Carl.
              YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

in our area it is 2' from either side of there mark but they dont locate water lines
                Mike
                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

We did a dig to replace a sewer line we had all the locates done then we ripped up a fiber optic line that was private to our customer. They didn't tell us about it. Oops. One of the IT guys comes out of the building, "I told you to be careful". But he didn't tell us there was a line down there.
                  ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                  X