X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Pipes

Any of you plumbers remember working on lead pipes? Here is a shot of some lead pipes I pulled out of a house in Toronto, Canada, built in 1910.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chemeng; 11-23-2008, 12:57 AM. Reason: Better Photo

Re: Lead Pipes

Ahh, you're missing the one with the lav coming off the toilet arm.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I removed that part you're talking about "lav coming off the toilet arm" a few years ago when it gave me trouble. This is all that remains as of 2 weeks ago...Actually I brought all these pieces to the scappers today. The lead weighed 25 pounds @ 15 cents a pound I made a whopping $3.75! (I didnt just go for the lead, I had other stuff too).

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        Ahh, you're missing the one with the lav coming off the toilet arm.
        Or an lead S trap servicing a kitchen sink. I tool one of those out of a 1905 house I owned in the 80s.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I work in toronto in a lot of the older homes and see lots of lead, even lead water services

Comment

The middle bottom item in the photo (the pipe with crap in it) is the P-trap from the cast iron bath tub.

Comment

I forgot but last monday I was called out for a job where the pipe in the floor broke off.

Old home, I get there and sure enough, 1-1/4 chrome brass pipe sticking out of what I feared, lead.

This lead pipe was leading straight to the toilet, I was positive of that and this woman just laid a new floor.

So I opened up a 6" by 6" hole in the floor very carefully and exposed that lead to tubular brass connection.

I cut that brass off flush where the lead pipe was flared to solder the two together, took my diamond blade angle grinder and for 10 minutes I carefully grinded that flare down to a nice rolling leaded ring where the connection to it was going to be tight, and have something secure to work with.

I couldn't cut the pipe lower, would of had to cut a lot of floor out to do so and with newly laid tile, that wasn't going to happen. She had a 1-1/4" to 1-1/4" fernco coupling and I reused it to make this connection back to lead.

IF I would of cut below that inserted piece of 1-1/4" chrome brass inside that pipe, the lead now becomes very pliable and a fernco will distort the pipe. Heck it was already hard turning and this small section was the straightest part of it.

Inserted the fernco on it, was hard to get on and right below that thickened ring at the edge I set the clamp. I chose not to reinstall the S-trap config as I knew there was no way she was going to allow me to extensively get that sink vented properly.

Told her to use an 1-1/4" S-trap so the 2 pipes line up with no shoulder in the transition and all should be fine. She was happy.
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-23-2008, 09:04 PM.

Comment

They were still installing that stuff in the late sixties in St. Paul, Mn. I don't know when they stopped. (if they ever did) Apprentices couldn't get their journeyman license until they passed a test wiping a lead joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                  They were still installing that stuff in the late sixties in St. Paul, Mn. I don't know when they stopped. (if they ever did) Apprentices couldn't get their journeyman license until they passed a test wiping a lead joint.

My Ky journeyman's practical examination consisted of a lead pour using 4" cast-iron. 1998

Was graded on all steps, and the connection was pressure tested in a vat of water to see if bubbles surfaced.

Comment

When I was a 3rd yr. apprentice, the company I was working for was hired by a large city to replace various types of water services they were having problems with.

They had a company locate thousands of underground leaks at B-boxes and such. The city followed behind and dug them up for us to repair.

I would use co2 to freeze the live side and clamp back on with compression couplings and a new B-box to the house.

I spent an entire summer doing at least 2 or 3 a day in between various other service calls.
                    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
                    X