X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tub Spout

Hello all hope someone can help me. I just installed a new tub spout with a built in shower diverter. When just using regular bath everything is fine.But when you use the shower mode water backs up and is running down to the ceiling in my downstairs bathroom. Wich is right under the upstairs one. I have tried 2 tub spouts . Please help thank you

Re: New Tub Spout

Originally posted by Cincyray View Post
    Hello all hope someone can help me. I just installed a new tub spout with a built in shower diverter. When just using regular bath everything is fine.But when you use the shower mode water backs up and is running down to the ceiling in my downstairs bathroom. Wich is right under the upstairs one. I have tried 2 tub spouts . Please help thank you

R U in Reading, Ohio?

You've got a leak either at the shower lug ell up top where you threaded in the shower arm or down at the shower valve where the shower line connects.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Sounds like somethings broke.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Cincyray View Post
        I would consider capping off both the shower head and the tub spout and energize the valve. If your rough-in within the wall is leaking you can stop playing with different spouts and fix the leak in the wall.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Did you caulk around the new spout and was the old one caulked?

Is the spout a thread on type or a slip on?

Has it ever leaked in the past with the old spout?
          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

The Old one worked fine it had a little drip leak so the wife asked me to get a new one. It is a push on type. And i havent caulked it yet. The weird part is the bath part works great. It is when i pull up the shower diverter on the spout. The shower does work but when shower in use is when it gets pushed back and leaks downstairs. Almost like a bad overflow washer would react when tub is to full.

Comment

The slip on ones (at least some of them) have a rubber o-ring that seals the spout to the copper coming out the wall. I think you've rolled the o-ring or cut it as you pushed it on, or else yours is just missing, or else you're not pushing it far enough on because it gets a little hard to push when you run up against the o-ring and you didn't want to force it, or your new spouts have the oring groove farther out in the spout than your old one and your copper doesn't stick out far enough to get to it. This will cause water to squirt back into the wall when you put it to shower. I doubt it's in the valve or the shower ell as it didn't do this with the old spout.
              Last edited by Ace Sewer; 11-24-2008, 04:05 PM.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I agree with ace. I do maintenance for a housing corporation and run into the same problem with the slip on diverter spouts. there is no pressure to speak of when running the bath. In our buildings I found the stubs corroded and near impossible to get a seal. I have changed a lot of them so as to use spin on type spouts

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Sounds like somethings broke.

J.C.

Hmmm...yea I woud agree with that,

But on a serious note, maybe an un sweated fitting?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    The slip on ones (at least some of them) have a rubber o-ring that seals the spout to the copper coming out the wall. I think you've rolled the o-ring or cut it as you pushed it on, or else yours is just missing, or else you're not pushing it far enough on because it gets a little hard to push when you run up against the o-ring and you didn't want to force it, or your new spouts have the oring groove farther out in the spout than your old one and your copper doesn't stick out far enough to get to it. This will cause water to squirt back into the wall when you put it to shower. I doubt it's in the valve or the shower ell as it didn't do this with the old spout.
                    I believe Ace called it!

Comment

If someone could tell me where l might get this type of push on shower diverter spout. l have one now without the diverter and would like to replace it and add shower head. l live in ontario and have not located one as of yet.
                      Also this style the o-ring can create headaches, maybe lubing it with vasline before you push it on will stop it from ripping or rolling
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X