X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smell coming from floor drain

Our house was built in 1962. The other weekend the old lady was doing laundry and water backed up from the floor drain in the laundry room in the basement but eventually drained. We called a plumber and he ran lots of water and drained a few full tubs of water from the washing machine but nothing backed up so he said it must have been a partial clog. No big deal...But....ever since then we have been getting a foul smell from the drain and it is carrying throughout the whole house. Nothing is backing up, everything is draining fine, no real problems just the smell. Any thoughts on what I can do??

Re: Smell coming from floor drain

Pull the cover off.Drain is direct in he center and there should be an access hole off to one side in the drain.It should have a plug in it.If not there is your stink.
    If the plug IS in place toss some bleach in there to kill the stink.

Comment

I've pulled the cover off and there are 2 holes coming into the main drain accross from eachother. I know one is where the water from the washing machine comes from but not sure about the other. There is no plug in the other one. Should there be?

Comment

JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Can you post a picture?

Comment

Sound like a venting issue and the ptrap is sucked dry in the floor drain. Pour some water in there and see what happens.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'll post some pics when I get home. Should have them on here by 3 pm

Comment

Here's some pics..
                One pic looking down the center and the other 2 pics are from opposite sides showing the holes entering the main drain accross from eachother.
                Attached Files

Comment

It looks trapped at the bottom. Holding water to block any gases from that point forward.

Could you be gaining odor from years of "life funk" in the open pipes?

You could try bleach or one of the foaming agents to maybe contact all the walls of the pipe.

They make a cover that you can put on the floor drain that acts as sort of a one way valve. Has a rubber piece that allows water through (NOT AT FULL RATE) but then kind of curls up to block odor.

I'll try to find the link or someone else probably has seen them and can post it.

J.C.

Comment

This isn't the one I was thinking of but this could help. http://www.thesureseal.com/

J.C.

DISCLAIMER:THIS PRODUCT MAY NOT BE CODE COMPLIANT AND COULD FAIL CAUSING DAMAGE TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

So there is no actual real fix for it? Just seal it off so the smell can't come up? This hole thing just seems odd as we have been living here for over 2 years now and never had and issue with the way it is now. Ever since what happened as I explained in my first post did it start giving off an odor....

Comment

Wow, for a thread that was worthless without pics once you post pics you get no replys. Still wondering if capping off the drain is the best thing to do.... Don't mean to bash anyone just looking for some more opinions.

Comment

Ok then "student" based on your pics you should call out your local inspection department immediately and have them look at what you have at your residence to best rectify the situation.

Then you should call a licensed plumber recommended by someone in your area to make corrections.

"Smells" or sewer gas can be explosive & deadly.

Is that better? Did you get the answer you wanted? Or did you want someone to tell you how to hackpatch it for $5.00?

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 11-30-2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teamsasky View Post
                            Wow, for a thread that was worthless without pics once you post pics you get no replys. Still wondering if capping off the drain is the best thing to do.... Don't mean to bash anyone just looking for some more opinions.
                            I'm trying to develope an image of myself going onto a forum and asking established members a question and then saying something like this.

And you know what?

I can only see myself recieving less than favorable responses.
                            To each his own.

Comment

Working...
                            X