X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strap Wrench capacity

Rigid catalog shows number 5 strap wrench capacity as 5" pipe for both the short & long strap wrenches. For O.D. tubing it shows different capacities for the short & long strap wrenches. I would think the 'pipe' capacity would also differ with the two wrenches. A longer strap would obviously go around a large diameter pipe. What am I missing? Thanks Bill

Re: Strap Wrench capacity

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Strap-Wrench/EN/index.htm

may be the capacity is determined by the handle length not the strap length, as all the 18" handles are rated at 5" and the 11 3/4" for 2" rating,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I wonder what's in the printed catalog or on the box labels regarding capacities. Looking at strap lengths and tubing ODs listed, I think there may be a good many goofs. Things just don't make sense on the web site.

I would recommend actual test tries of any of the strap wrenches someone is considering buying. This would be for both max and min sizes it will properly with with.

I hope ProBrand or someone else with Ridge tool sees this and can provide some answers.

Checking another brand I see where regarding threaded iron pipe that they seem to base ratings on handle length over strap length but their tubing ODs are based on strap length. I think BHD is on to something, but I'm still

UPDATE: I think some of the capacity rating has to do with width and strength of the strap and overall strength of the wrench.
      Last edited by Woussko; 11-29-2008, 01:52 AM.

Comment

My thanks to you and BHD for your insight. I'm going with the length of handle theory since a relationship does follow. Carrying that thought, I guess the strap strength would be the most plausible limiting factor. Meaning an 18" handle could likely result in strap failure on pipe larger than 5" ? At any rate, you've given me all the answer needed to ease my tortured mind & return to routine muddling.

Thanks Bill

Comment

Working...
        X