X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Machine Drain

Over the past few years, I've had a few small floods in my basement. They were all due to the fact that my washing machine drains into my laundry tub and my wife usually forgets to check the laundry tub drain for lint build up. Sorry for making a short story long but the gist of it is I want to add a dedicated drain line for the washing machine. Should I use a separate P-trap for the washing machine or could I tie in above the laundry tub P-trap? I've got room for either scenario.

Re: Washing Machine Drain

Washing machine really needs a 2" drain. You get away with the 1½ drain of the tub because the tub acts as a buffer, storing the excess water until the drain catches up.

You would have lots of problems tying into a 1½' drain, including the tendency to clog up periodically from the lint which you already know is in the wash water.

Comment

Definitely go with the seperate line if you've got the room for it.

Comment

You should have a trunk line you can tap into.

Do you have a stack or anything in the basement that you can cut a Y into?

Oh wait, did u say this was a basement....

Oh if not, you need to tie into at least a 2" drain line and then off course you will have to vent it.
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Code here requires it to be directly tied into a 3" line. There cannot be any other fixtures tied into this 2" line.
          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            Code here requires it to be directly tied into a 3" line. There cannot be any other fixtures tied into this 2" line.
            I am only about 5' from the 3" line but it is all copper and I don't think I want to mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw123 View Post
              Over the past few years, I've had a few small floods in my basement. They were all due to the fact that my washing machine drains into my laundry tub and my wife usually forgets to check the laundry tub drain for lint build up. Sorry for making a short story long but the gist of it is I want to add a dedicated drain line for the washing machine. Should I use a separate P-trap for the washing machine or could I tie in above the laundry tub P-trap? I've got room for either scenario.
              Use a separate P-trap & tie it in close to the 3". No offense but it doesn't matter what you don't want to mess with.

Do it right.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post

Huh? Michigan code allows it to be tied into a 2" stack as long as it is properly vented and the height requirements are followed. He needs a 2" trap minimum for a standpipe.

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
                  Huh? Michigan code allows it to be tied into a 2" stack as long as it is properly vented and the height requirements are followed. He needs a 2" trap minimum for a standpipe.
                  Is that UPC? IPC here.

J.C.

Comment

If plumbed properly the waste line to the sink/washing machine should be 2".If you can configure the tees to where the washing machine trap drains into the vertical stack below the waste tee of the sink you should do so.This,I'm guessing,would be your easiest code approved route.

UPC
                    Last edited by drtyhands; 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM. Reason: Code jurisdiction

Comment

International Plumbing Code (IPC) Where is Nunya? Is that a state, city, country, or state of mind?

Our code is always a few years behind on updates. I believe we are using the 2006 book but there are no guarantees. Unless recently changed, or locally altered,these requirements have been around for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Use a separate P-trap & tie it in close to the 3". No offense but it doesn't matter what you don't want to mess with.

Do it right.

J.C.
                        Is an 1-1/2" close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
                          International Plumbing Code (IPC) Where is Nunya? Is that a state, city, country, or state of mind?

Our code is always a few years behind on updates. I believe we are using the 2006 book but there are no guarantees. Unless recently changed, or locally altered,these requirements have been around for a long time.
                          Nunya is NC. And also a state of the mindless...

Here we are required to increase the drain within 6' of the trap outlet. I hate the W/M DWV code. Most aggravating to do in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Is an 1-1/2" close enough.

If only my boot could reach to Cali.

J.C.

Comment

Nope, it usually won't take the water and suds fast enough to avoid overflowing the stand pipe. Sometimes it works, but as a licensed plumber you may be going back to make a correction before you even get paid for the job! Better to do it right the first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X