X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetylene b-tank

Recently I used acetylene to solder copper pipes and fittings. Our company uses B-tank size.

I realized that we have different size of tips #5 and #14.

and different size of tanks have different valve # 510 ,520...

What does it mean?

If I use different size of tank, do I have to use different regularator?

Can you please explain about those?

Thank you.

Re: Acetylene b-tank

i have an adapter that allows my regulator to fit both the male and female valves of the tank.

next time you're at the welding supply, pick one up

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I was told years ago that the letters for the acetylene tanks were from the days when head lamps for vehicles were lit with gas. The "mc" was for motor car and the "b" was for bus. Any truth to this rumor?

Comment

i heard the same thing too

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Man you guys must be really old to know that. But then again I have heard the same thing.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

While we are on the topic of acetylene bottles- Does everyone know that the acetylene is dissolved in liquid acetone inside the tank? Acetylene is very unstable when compressed even at low psi. In order to avoid explosions, the acetylene is as I said dissolved in the acetone to keep it stable. As you use the gas, it gets replenished by bubbling out of the acetone as needed. MC tanks hold 10 cubic feet, and B tanks hold 40 cubic feet. Actually, at the place I fill my tanks it costs almost as much to get a B tank filled as a MC tank. (but the B tanks are a pain to carry around-heavy).

Comment

I thought acetelyne was disolved in Diatamacious earth? This is the reason that you don't turn Acetelyne bottles at sharp angles or turn the upside down (the earth gets in the regulators and messes things up...

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                I thought acetelyne was disolved in Diatamacious earth? This is the reason that you don't turn Acetelyne bottles at sharp angles or turn the upside down (the earth gets in the regulators and messes things up...

Okie
                Yes, but it is covered with acetone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylene

Acetylene gas is shipped in special cylinders designed to keep the gas dissolved. The cylinders are packed with porous materials (e.g. kapok fibre, diatomaceous earth, or (formerly) asbestos), then filled to around 50% capacity with acetone, as acetylene is acetone soluble. This method is necessary because above 207 kPa (30 lbf/in²) (absolute pressure) acetylene is unstable and may explode.[clarify] There is about 1700 kPa (250 lbf/in²) pressure in the tank when full. Acetylene when combined with oxygen burns at a temperature of 3200 °C to 3500 °C (5800 °F to 6300 °F), highest among commonly used gaseous fuels. As a fuel acetylene's primary disadvantage, in comparison to other fuels, is high cost.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyacetylene
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

What you are refering to is an "agamassan" which is a porous material which has cells in it totally immersed in acetone. The agamasson can break up with rough handling (dropped) and yes, come out to the gauge if its on its side. Acetone can absorb many many times its weigh in acetylene so its useful in this capacity. As I mentioned in an earlier post, acetylene will explode if compressed at about 25-30 psi, which is really not that high. If oxygen is introduced with the acetylene then the explosion will occur at an even lower pressure, about 10 psi. This stuff is very dangerous if not handled with respect. Remember 12th grade science...acetylene is C2H2-that double carbon bond is very unstable! He's a video of a small balloon exploded in a university lecture:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1LwYJ8pDhc

Comment

I'm not an engineer but that does not make any sense to me. You are saying that it will explode at 10 psi when oxygen is introduced to it??

Hmmmmmm..........so when I am using my cutting torch and acetylene pressure is set at 5 to 6 psi (which is lower than 10 psi) and I crack open the oxygen and it is set at around 30 psi, that when they both hit the cutting tip if will burst into flame??? Has not happened yet, been using a striker for the last 35 years to light a cutting rig, or brazing rig.

A neutral flame will yield upwards of 5,720 degree F.

The porus filler occupies the entire steel shell of the cylinder 8 - 10%.
                    Acetone fills 42% of the volume of the cylinder.
                    Acetlene gas 36% the mixture of C2H2 and O2 occupies 78% of the volume of the cylinder.
                    Reserve volume of 10 - 12% for expansion, a safety reserve must be present even at 150 degree F.

Acetylene is unstable above 15 psi outside of the cylinder.

Nothing was said about empting a cyclinder faster than 1/7 of the volume per hour.

Nothiing was said about a cylinder should always be standing up to use because of the withdrawl of the acetone.

How about flasback arrestors??
                    What about transporting tanks around in the back of a truck with the regulator still attached, or even worse inside of a van, truck cab or car trunk (even with out the regulator attached)??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlgz_iYdsCA

G3
                    Last edited by G3sprinklers; 12-01-2008, 07:24 PM. Reason: add video

Comment

How does the Acetone stabalize the Acetylene?

If I remember correctly the act of "disolving" the Acetylene in the Diatomacious earth allows for the storage of the disolved gas at high pressure...

The release of the acetylene from the D.Earth is at a controled rate therby preventing the instability Chemeng is mentioning...

I could be wrong ( college chemistry was a long time ago and a D+ at that...)

Okie

Comment

When acetylene is dissolved in acetone it is stable, so no concern for explosion even with it being compressed. To answer an earlier post, if you compress 100% acetylene to about 30 psi it will EXPLODE. If you compress an acetylene & oxygen mixture to about 10 psi it will EXPLODE. Using a torch does not compress gas, if anything it REDUCES pressure when it is opened. It therefore is impossible to fill an acetylene bottle without acetone beyond 30 psi without a massive explosion.
                        By the way that welding supply explosion was amazing!

Comment

Working...
                        X