Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical and Horizontal

Hey guys

water can go up to a certain height... verticaly... but how far can water go in an horizontal pipe (0 slope) considering pressure is maintained?

Just curious!

Re: Vertical and Horizontal

I ain't no plumber but it seems to me that as soon as the friction created by the water in the pipe against the pipe walls equalled the pump pressure the flow would stop.

-Tom

Comment

Water can go up a pipe an unlimited distance ( You just have to provide more energy the higher up you are pushing the water column) This also assumes a magical superpipe that can withstand the pressures...

That being said I would say the same holds true for horizontal distances.

I believe that you will hit a point of deminishing returns where the amount of energy required does not make it feasible or practicle to go beyond a certain height with a certain volume of liquid

Or are you talking about a specific Pump Curve set-up?

Did that answer your question?

Okie
      Last edited by OkieBill; 12-01-2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Water loses pressure as it travels through a horizontal pipe. There are charts and calculators which show many PSI are lost based on size of pipe and flow rate in GPM. In theory, at some point, no matter what PSI you have at the source, at some point along the pipe, you have Zero PSI. In theory, then, flow would stop, but it gets complicated because as flow slows down, then the loss is less, then the flow goes up.......etc. Probalby need some calculus to figure it out.

Basic answer.....diameter of pipe, diameter, and gallons per minute of flow....all cause pressure to drop and the drop is proportionate to the length of the pipe.

Comment

here's the funny thing. if you use the friction charts it is theoretically possible for there to not be any flow at all, yet in practice the water will always dribble out of the open end no matter how long it is.
          sigpic

Comment

Yea enough pressure, you could push water up vertically very high. Horizontally the water will even just spill out, did you have a time frame in mind?
            However, you can only suck water, with a vacuum pump, 32 feet high.
            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Is this a trick question

Comment

I would say forever, water is self leveling so without any pressure, it'll seek it's level like NHmaster said. Add pressure to this and you have the same effect, just faster. I'm basing this question off the op question since he did not mention pressure drop, friction loss, just far far will water go.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

there is one big pipe called an ocean, and it goes clear around the world, (even tho some land masses in its way), and it alway seeks it own level,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    there is one big pipe called an ocean, and it goes clear around the world, (even tho some land masses in its way), and it alway seeks it own level,
                    you mean that when we get to the end, it doesn't just fall off

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      you mean that when we get to the end, it doesn't just fall off

rick.

Yup see ,

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                        Yup see ,

How did you do this?Its different.
                        Kenneth Collier
                        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                        Jackson, MS 39206
                        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

But what would happen if you were to drill a hole completely through the earth?

Would water flow in from both ways until it stabilized and become a solid column with strange pressures & flow characteristics due to gravitational forces & the rotation of the earth?

What if you didn't hit water? If you triangulated in such a way to drill from land mass to land mass?

Would there be a zero gravity point in the middle? Could you throw a tennis ball in there and it just "float" in the middle?

Would doing this jack up the earth's axis and make the whole planet wobble?

When you look in a mirror-left and right are opposite-Why are up and down the same?

I could go on and on at the things that keep me up.......

J.C.

Comment

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought there might be some tips/tricks/info on certain non-plumbing(or, maybe...) activity............

Damn you misleading thread titles!!!!

Oh, and by the way, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!! IT"S PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

(Grimace, scream, grimace, scream)
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              But what would happen if you were to drill a hole completely through the earth?

Would water flow in from both ways until it stabilized and become a solid column with strange pressures & flow characteristics due to gravitational forces & the rotation of the earth?

What if you didn't hit water? If you triangulated in such a way to drill from land mass to land mass?

Would there be a zero gravity point in the middle? Could you throw a tennis ball in there and it just "float" in the middle?

Would doing this jack up the earth's axis and make the whole planet wobble?

When you look in a mirror-left and right are opposite-Why are up and down the same?

I could go on and on at the things that keep me up.......

J.C.
                              What are you on and what street corner do you buy it at?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X