Removing a clog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a clog

For the past 2 years now or so, we always have issues with the water going down in the kitchen sink. I have tried various brands of that draino and liquid plumber whichs hardly works at all. I cant just replace the whole plumbing since its an apartment, and the building owner is a bit missing in action so the speak whenever we contact him. I heard home made solultions work really good and better then the those drain o things, so does anyone have a solution

Re: Removing a clog

Quit wasting $ on Draino etc...

Line needs to be snaked or even better high pressure jetted but you can not hire someone to do this as you are a renter.
    If the landlord refuses to respond to a slow drain then buy a few pounds of bacon and dump the grease down the drain and clog it up good.
    Still no response, then withhold rent until it is resolved
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I have always recommended the baking soda/vinegar to homeowners who wish to know how to maintain their drains. 1/2 cup of baking soda, followed by 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes. Flush drain with a large pot of boiling water. Otherwise, do like he said and plug it up real good. But for God's sakes quit dumping Draino and other acids into the drain.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        I have always recommended the baking soda/vinegar to homeowners who wish to know how to maintain their drains. 1/2 cup of baking soda, followed by 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes. Flush drain with a large pot of boiling water. Otherwise, do like he said and plug it up real good. But for God's sakes quit dumping Draino and other acids into the drain.
        *I* disagree.The stronger the acid the better.
        It will drain through the holes in the pipe onto you neighbors walls and ceilings.The owner may notice that and your sink will drain just fine.

Comment

Can't you get it clear with real strong acid and then pour hydraulic cement down the drain to fill any holes or voids?

J.C.

Kidding. Call plumber.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-02-2008, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
            *I* disagree.The stronger the acid the better.
            It will drain through the holes in the pipe onto you neighbors walls and ceilings.The owner may notice that and your sink will drain just fine.
            You kill me!

Comment

OK. First you need two five gallon buckets.
              Then cut the pipe under the sink and place one five gal bucket under that cut.
              Once the first bucket fills up, replace it with the empty one.
              What to do with the full bucket you ask? Well thats easy, just dump it in the sink. Just kidding with ya.

Call your Land/slum Lord and tell him to quit being an A HOLE.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Some trivia: Draino is caustic and as such it is a "base" not an acid. Draino is sodium hydroxide in solid or liquid form with a pH of over 7 all the way to 14. Acids have pH of under 7 down to 1. Pure water has a pH of 7. Highschool chemistry.

Comment

High school chemistry. Maybe I dropped out too soon.
                  Base or acid, either way the stuff sure taste funny

Comment

You are correct, and both high strength acids and bases can do serious harm. They are nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                      Some trivia: Draino is caustic and as such it is a "base" not an acid. Draino is sodium hydroxide in solid or liquid form with a pH of over 7 all the way to 14. Acids have pH of under 7 down to 1. Pure water has a pH of 7. Highschool chemistry.

Did you watch Ancient Engineers last night?
                      Very interesting bit about an ancient army crossing the Alps faced with a 300 foot shear drop in front of them and couldn't back track so they lit fires the heat the lime stone then poured wine (vinegar base?) on the rock to soften it so the men could pick at it and build a path.

Sorry about the thread drift, thought some would find it interesting. Good show.

Comment

Cool. And the Drano's PH is better neutralized using vinegar. Right?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by A23 View Post
                          For the past 2 years now or so, we always have issues with the water going down in the kitchen sink. I have tried various brands of that draino and liquid plumber whichs hardly works at all. I cant just replace the whole plumbing since its an apartment, and the building owner is a bit missing in action so the speak whenever we contact him. I heard home made solultions work really good and better then the those drain o things, so does anyone have a solution
                          plunge the crap out of it.

if you have a 2 compartment sink, put the plug in the other sink and get somebody to hold it down.

get a plunger with the cup on the bottom. not the other kind, they're just toys.

put a plunger over the sink drain and use it as a plug. fill the sink up with hot water. add baking soda and viniger like devine said.

pull the plunger up and allow the drain to fill with water.

start plunging.

stop plunging and allow the line to fill with water, and start plunging. stop plunging, allow the water to fill the line, start plunging. do you see where i'm going with this?

sometimes you have to fill the sink a couple times, and plunge.

a person can create some pretty good pressure if you use the right technique and the right plunger.

i wouldn't worry about using the plunger from your bathroom too much. if your dislodging any thing from your drain, the water in the sink will turn black and produce an odour you won't soon forget.

if this doesn't work, then you'll have to call in the big boys with the big toys.

use bleach to disinfect and papertowels.

good luck.

Vince

you can tell if your making any head way by timing how long it takes to drain before you start. then compare after plunging. sometimes it's like the difference between night and day with just some plunging.

Comment

One one drain that keep having problems and they would try chemical cleaners, and other on it,
                            I snaked it with a sink machine, and it would run good for a few weeks and it would start to run slow again,
                            Finial one day when I was working on it the snake caught some thing and I pulled out a plastic toy man, from a cowboys and Indian set it, was a brave little yellow Indian, (it must have been such that the snake would by pass it and work it way around it, this was old galvanized steel pipe any way so the elbows were fun to get around any way), rescuing the little guy basically solved the problem for that drain.

also if the line is not pitched correctly and there is a low area in the drain line it many times will be a constant problem.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You are right about the taste! Characteristics of acids are that they have a bitter taste, I believe that bases are sour.

Most Drano and other OTC prescription drain cleaners are bases and are designed to be heavier than water and sink to the clog and push it through. There is no real health danger with these. They will make you really sick if ingested, but won't eat your skin off if touched. Very few drain cleaners are acidic and are usually only available to professionals in the form of sulfuric acid or chlorine of some sort. Problems occur most times when Mr. DIY dumps the drano in and if it doesn't clear right away product 2 is used and so on til he determines that a plumber will cost less than products. By this time drano has begun to crystalize in pipes.

Comment

Working...
                              X