Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a large snake damaged the tub drain?

I have seen two tub drains that needed to be repaired. The same handyman had worked on them previously, I am guessing a large diameter snake coil was forced into the drain or that slapping of the cable, or repeated rotations somehow damaged the pipes.

Is this possible?

Second question:

I just purchased another RIDGID power spin, because the cable became all twisted and useless. For those that do not know, this is the smallest diameter cable. Seems the cable somehow snagged, being so small it will bent easily. Would there be a correct replacement cable? I have seen the same handyman use a larger cable as a replacement.
    Last edited by tjjjc2; 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM.
    I have met a lot of stupid professionals.
    I have met a few smart DIYs
    I'd rather be a DIY, as I have already proven to outsmart and outperform most so called professionals.

Re: Will a large snake damaged the tub drain?

The correct replacement cable for a power spin is a NEW power spin.
    I almost hate to admit it but I do have one and it has its uses but its pretty much a throw away tool. You should see the look on my wifes face when I dig it out from the bottom of the pile in the van.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thanks fore the reply, at $44. with tax and all, maybe I should just purchase the simple cheaper snakes (with the smaller diameter cables), and switch cables?

The first snake I used lasted months, the second power spin lasted just one (tough) job. I do see where Ridgid installed a plastic thread inside of the cable. This seems to have been a good idea. If I was Ridgid, I'd make a snake just for tub clogs, very small cable and with a hook that expands, like the cable pick up tool use auto mechanics use.

Hold that, I'll suggest that tools right now.

Also, I have seen where the vent design will not allow the larger cable to enter. I just got used to using the power-spin.
      Last edited by tjjjc2; 12-04-2008, 11:09 PM.
      I'd rather be a DIY, as I have already proven to outsmart and outperform most so called professionals.

Comment

i've done hundreds of tubs with the k-39af and 5/16'' cable with bulb auger head.

tubs are typically 1.5'' tail pieces with an 1.5'' or 2'' trap.

i did a 2'' laundry drain and trap today with my k-60 and 5/8'' cable with bulb auger.

it's having the proper feel, proper equipment plus experience

if you're serious, you'll buy a k-39 and watch the troubles go down the drain

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i've done hundreds of tubs with the k-39af and 5/16'' cable with bulb auger head.

tubs are typically 1.5'' tail pieces with an 1.5'' or 2'' trap.

i did a 2'' laundry drain and trap today with my k-60 and 5/8'' cable with bulb auger.

it's having the proper feel, proper equipment plus experience

if you're serious, you'll buy a k-39 and watch the troubles go down the drain

rick.

Nice, you have any video of the machine in use >?
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I love the K-39, it's a great tool. I have used it many times in the past, but, this one time I was hesitant as I was trying to make the bend, I hate to knock holes in the wall to fix the tub drains. (I don't do cement floors).

I also have two other power snakes, 25 and 50'. Saved me from calling the pros many times. It is a fact, it's damn hard to find a good plumber. I could tell you true horror stories. This is the main reason for the many snakes and plumbing tools.

You did say the k-39AF. I don't see the AF on my model. Do you know if both model numbers have the same end on the cable?
            Last edited by tjjjc2; 12-04-2008, 11:05 PM.

Comment

I once saw an idiot trying to force a 5/8" IC cable down an 1.5" galvanized drain.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                I once saw an idiot trying to force a 5/8" IC cable down an 1.5" galvanized drain.
                When I was a renter, many many years ago, I did just that. I punched a hole in the thin metal drain pipe. Once I pulled the snake up, I epoxied the hole and all was well. (the same way I sealed small leaks on automotive gas tanks)* But it felt good that I cleared the pipe myself. I seen plumbers use these large snakes so I rented one myself.

Later I learned there were smaller diameter snakes for DIYers

* Mix epoxy, apply to a thin sheet of metal. Then do this a second time on a larger sheet
                Clean the tank area asap, then slap on the smaller sheet of metal, wait a few and then slap on the larger sheet.

I believe I was lucky to be in the automotive repair business for many years. I have used many ideas learned from automotive and applied then to handyman jobs. I can still pick up small items with the tips of my fingers. This may not interest any of you, until you see it work when you need it to.

Comment

If I was you I would either get a 39 AF.....or if you don't think you'll use it often enough to warrant spending the $300, you should get a cheap $20 throwaway. All you do is attach it to your drill, I've never used an auto-spin....but it looks cheaper built then my $20 auger. I've used mine over 10 times on tub drains...and it's still good.

Comment

3 1/2 years and not an answer,
                    where are the pros?
                    \
                    yes thanks, I do own that tool.

Was asking if any past plumber could have damaged the drain with any kind of snake.

Comment

of course a snake could damage an already worn and thin pipe or trap. the same with using liquid drain cleaners and normal wear and tear.

fortunately the tub drain traps are not suppose to be thin gauge brass traps like used on exposed sink traps. the pipe both gal and cast will also rust but the tub waste and overflow is typically 17 gauge brass and can be damaged if you're too aggressive with a power snake. but there's no reason why a 1/4'' or 5/16'' electric snake can't safely snake out a 1.5'' tub drain from the overflow pipe.

the waste piping is typically either gal pipe or cast iron. unless it's newer plastic or old school copper dwv. all that holds the older piping together is the scale that's formed inside on the walls of the pipe. so if the snake knocks off some scale, it can leak after snaking. but i can tell you with me that happens less than 1% of the time with snaking and typically it's the thin brass traps that give way.

i would use a 5/16'' hollow core cable with bulb head on a tub drain. on a shower i can use a 5/8'' sectional cable as it's typically 2'' pipe and trap with no tubular waste.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I think someone on the crew punches through galvy about 3 times a week around here but we have a whole lot of 200 year old houses here too.
                        sigpic

Comment

Past licenced plumber most likely not. Past handyman possible, how old are the drains or tubs and how much draino has been poured down before you got there. There's a hack close to here that always just pours gallons of draino or whatever Costcos brand is down drains.

Comment

Working...
                          X