Fuel oil smell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel oil smell

Hi everyone, 3 weeks ago I installed an oil fired Weil mclain boiler I also installed a new insulated fuel line, still today the home owner can smell fuel oil in her kitchen the oil tank and boiler are right below her kitchen there is a porch off her kitchen where the feed and vent pipes run foe the tank, I have no leaks at the oil tank or the burner but the smell is still there, ive sprinkled oil smell removel powder but the smell is still there, ive found no leaks at all iam really baffled at this has anyone expieranced this before.

Re: Fuel oil smell

Can you smell the oil ? Or is it just the homeowner ?
    I've been down this road and lost my butt on the job, nobody but the homeowner could smell oil and she refused to pay the final bill.

Here is what I ended up doing. Pressure tested the oil tank ,seal the gauge with an o-ring and a little stem grease, put in about 2 lbs of air and soap test. Vacuum test oil line and filter. Wash down the oil tank and piping with simple green and water. Check the boiler , I used the powder (sweet air or what ever) all over the pump and fitting. Checked combustion eff. several times. Got the boiler rep to come out and check and recheck every gasket and combustion eff. Wash down the boiler and burner with simple green and water( CAREFULLY)
    Now keep in mind I could never smell the oil smell, neither could the GC, any of my 5 guys, the rep, LOL oh yeah and the four firemen that showed to the original call, the 3 other contractors she hired to solve her issue.
    I saw that rep 4yrs. later at a trade show and they were still dealing with this lady.

Good luck with this I truly hope you don't have the same scenario as I did.

Comment

Originally posted by PIPES View Post
      Can you smell the oil ? Or is it just the homeowner ?
      I've been down this road and lost my butt on the job, nobody but the homeowner could smell oil and she refused to pay the final bill.

Here is what I ended up doing. Pressure tested the oil tank ,seal the gauge with an o-ring and a little stem grease, put in about 2 lbs of air and soap test. Vacuum test oil line and filter. Wash down the oil tank and piping with simple green and water. Check the boiler , I used the powder (sweet air or what ever) all over the pump and fitting. Checked combustion eff. several times. Got the boiler rep to come out and check and recheck every gasket and combustion eff. Wash down the boiler and burner with simple green and water( CAREFULLY)
      Now keep in mind I could never smell the oil smell, neither could the GC, any of my 5 guys, the rep, LOL oh yeah and the four firemen that showed to the original call, the 3 other contractors she hired to solve her issue.
      I saw that rep 4yrs. later at a trade show and they were still dealing with this lady.

Good luck with this I truly hope you don't have the same scenario as I did.
      WHY NOT COURT???? bring in the fire dept. on this for documentation
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        WHY NOT COURT???? bring in the fire dept. on this for documentation
        I was young and stupid. Now that I am older and wiser I am a bit meaner. If I have to put a lien on your home to get payment , you'll need an act of congress and personal note from god to get me to let you out of my jaws. It's not just the money , it's the principal. I have banged in on someones credit report for $48.00 because they ticked me off.

Comment

Thankyou for your feed back on my oil smell problem, i did go back and investagate and i did smell oil but it wasnt strong it was like a service had just been done, i went down to the basement and didnt smell anything but when i went out side and came into the kitchen i smelled it.

Comment

You said the fill and vent pipes are under the porch? Any chance that there is a fitting and or leak under there or perhaps where the piping comes through the sill and and the smell is wafting up into the kitchen?
            sigpic

Comment

Is there a possibility you are smelling oil being "vented"?
              If the vent is under the porch, how far is it from a window
              or unauthorized opening like a crack in the wall, sub floor, or poor insulation?

Being under the porch you may have a drafting problem and the vent fumes when the tank is 3/4 to full is being directed into the house.

You may want to try a non flammable smoke test..the stuff used to test smoke detectors to see how the air moves.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
              X