Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

    ok good - that was part of the question - if the washer scewed up the hot water heat. I was previously told that portable washers CAN cause the hot water to come out of cold water spigot and vis versa - so I thought it might have something to do with the shower hot/cold water spigots being reversed and that if it could do that - maybe it would screw up the hot water pipes for the heat too.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

      As a landlord myself, I specifically forbid powerwasher hookup within any of my units. In fact, it is specified in all leases that if any power washers, pressure washers, sewer jetters, portable baby showers, or kitchen sink dish sprayers are brought within 500' of the property the lease is immediately cancelled and all deposits are forfeit.

      This is a reasonable precaution due to the well known phenomenon (which you have now experienced) of pipe reversal. The excessive aspiration of water in a power washer or sprayer configuration, in some cases exacerbated by polarity induction due to being hooked to electrical power, has been demonstrated to lead to the frustrating and difficult to cure condition known as 'pipe reversal.'

      While this can generally be solved by replumbing the house, I have found that by hooking up a really big power washer to the system and then carefully timing the exact moment you turn the washer off, you can sometimes switch the pipes back into place. It takes practice and careful timing though, so this is not a job for the amatuer. Good Luck!
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

        more than likely the shower valve is in need of repair, (common place for a cross connection of hot and cold)

        your washer is not the cause unless you hook it up to the faucet and leave the both the hot and cold on, as that will create a cross connection,

        and there could be a recirculation problem on the hot water side of the piping system, causing a cross connection of some type, (again nothing to do with the washer)

        the only other thing I can think of some one did some work on some other units or place in the building and literly cross the pipes in the repair,
        Last edited by BHD; 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

          Yea what Ace said...

          I too have experienced this strange hydraulic behavior and found flawless timing to be the only option.

          Any professional plumber will spot it so I hope the renter has deep pockets to pay for the repair...

          Dishonesty will always catch up with folks *shrug*

          Okie

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

            Ace, can you further explain this so call pipe reversal phenomenon. I don't understand. Once the washer is disconnected how can the water still be reversed? You say the only cure is replumbing the house? I find this hard to believe. I think I am missing something here...please explain....

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

              Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              As a landlord myself, I specifically forbid powerwasher hookup within any of my units. In fact, it is specified in all leases that if any power washers, pressure washers, sewer jetters, portable baby showers, or kitchen sink dish sprayers are brought within 500' of the property the lease is immediately cancelled and all deposits are forfeit.

              This is a reasonable precaution due to the well known phenomenon (which you have now experienced) of pipe reversal. The excessive aspiration of water in a power washer or sprayer configuration, in some cases exacerbated by polarity induction due to being hooked to electrical power, has been demonstrated to lead to the frustrating and difficult to cure condition known as 'pipe reversal.'

              While this can generally be solved by replumbing the house, I have found that by hooking up a really big power washer to the system and then carefully timing the exact moment you turn the washer off, you can sometimes switch the pipes back into place. It takes practice and careful timing though, so this is not a job for the amatuer. Good Luck!
              With all due respect Ace, this sounds like kookie talk. Don't make me call lobster on you.

              Need much better explanation.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

                Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                Ace, can you further explain this so call pipe reversal phenomenon. I don't understand. Once the washer is disconnected how can the water still be reversed? You say the only cure is replumbing the house? I find this hard to believe. I think I am missing something here...please explain....
                Now where did I put that pipe stretcher at?
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

                  ACE SET THE HOOK!!!!!

                  You got a bite

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

                    Ace
                    That was great.
                    That reminds me of the time my wife(the chef) sent one of the salad girls to the supermarket to get a bag of steam for the steam tables. Hook line and sinker.
                    Mike

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

                      what if you are not using an portable washer screws,well the faucet is turning off automatically?








                      _________________
                      Rapid Tooling

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Portable washer screws up heat and hot water?

                        Originally posted by jams002 View Post
                        what if you are not using an portable washer screws,well the faucet is turning off automatically?








                        _________________
                        Rapid Tooling
                        While portable washer screws are convenient, you will find permanent washer screws last much longer.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X