Water leak in slab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leak in slab

Got a call , water evident in one area. Assume radiant copper. Pressure 0. Any suggestions
    on pinpointing leak ,appreciated. Thinking stethoscope from napa auto. thanks, tool.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Water leak in slab

IR Thermometer.

J.C.

Comment

typically a warm floor/ area is the head start.

air mixed with water will make bubbles. bubbles will make noise. noise is what you're listening for

that's the non electronic way.

with a pipe locater and a leak detector, it's fast and accurate.

the snake oil way is with devining rods, coat hangers, welding rods.

some claim they can do it tell that to the insurance company why the floors are all jacked up

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Does insurance reimburse for this? He has a plumber coming out to install new Circ. pump on boiler. Have a raytek heat scaner , but heats off. May buy some phones from graingers.
        Thanks Guys
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

insurance typically pays for the floor and locating the leak. not for the actual plumbing repair.

the repair is easy, finding and getting to it is fun

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I've done a few in-slab fixes, mostly leaks were under walls that were EAT'd to the slab. Get your compressor down there and give it about 50 psi, if its a puncture leak, you'll see the water shoot out like a small fountain. If its a wear issue, I would do what you suggested with the stethoscope, but isolate the loop and put at least 100 lbs in. Once we had to find a bunch of freeze-related leaks underneath the deck of an outdoor olympic-size pool, and the homeowner just had 36 x 36" slate tiles installed all around. He wasnt too keen on using the guess and check method to find the leak(s), so we brought a huge compressor and stethoscope out, and pinpointed all six leaks before lunch, had em jackhammered and fixed by 2:00.
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Thanks Guys off to be a hero or Bum! Talk tonight.

Comment

Did you find the leak / s?

Comment

HOO RAH,Great day ,Thanks' all for Your help. And I really appreciate the call ,with GREAT info, from Jerry Mac. Water was seeping from the wood siding at floor level in living room near fireplace. Pulled back carpet and pad,settlement crack from in adequate fireplace
                  footer. I know the homes and area,lots of clay,and settled fireplaces. broke out about 2 Sq.Ft. bingo ,pinholes in 1" of 3/8s copper. silver soldered about 1 ft.new., concreted. Used compressor to blow out line before soldering. Met Ed the retired plumber [76years young].
                  He installed new taco pump on boiler. He lives in this hood and does a lot of hydronic work.
                  What a great Guy ,with storys about the old S.F.Hope We can be friends. Made $532 for 6
                  fun hrs. I just know Tue. won't be as EZEE. l Ps decided I will look into a hydronics nite school ,If there is such a thing in Bay area. Thanks again, Tool

Comment

Working...
                  X