Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-scald shower mixer question

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for looking in on my question.

I decided to install an outdoor shower to rinse off after hot tubbing. I thought it would be a neat feature to have hot water, but the hot water heater is clear to the other side of the property. So, I decided to get a Titan tankless electric heater. I installed this in a NEMA class 4 waterproof enclosure, all suitably GFI protected and all that. So far that part all seems to be fine.

For the shower mixer, I got a display model Price Pfister from Lowes off the "clearance table" for $10. My problem is that the water just doesn't get hot enough. I don't think it's the water heater - the Titan I bought was a large one, for full house use (I bought this because I got it brand new for cheap on eBay). The reason I don't think it's a water heater problem is that I also installed a foot shower - a second head down low just for rinsing off feet before getting into the tub. I run this head off of the port on the mixer that normally connects to the tub spout, and turn it off with a small valve in the line. This foot shower head seems to get quite a bit warmer. I think the problem is the anti-scald feature in the mixer. Is there some easy way to adjust or turn off that feature? Unfortunately I didn't get any documentation with the mixer.

If not, I guess I'll ditch the mixer and use separate valves for hot and cold.

Thanks again!

Andy

Re: Anti-scald shower mixer question

Should of put in a ProFlo.

(Kidding )

Might be an adjustment under the handle. The temp should be the same. Sometime aeration from a showerhead makes it feel cooler. There is no way that I'm aware of to "turn off" anti-scald in that valve.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-09-2008, 12:18 AM.

Comment

both the shower head and foot wash come off the same valve. the temperature should be the same. use a thermometer to test the temperature.

there is a handle limit adjustment on most anti scald valves. make sure you are getting full range of hot motion. take off the handle and look for a limit stop.

post a photo of the valve with the trim/ handle off.

also post a photo of the water heater or a good link to the model and specs.

it might be a heater issue, it might be a valve adjustment.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
        Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for looking in on my question.

I decided to install an outdoor shower to rinse off after hot tubbing. I thought it would be a neat feature to have hot water, but the hot water heater is clear to the other side of the property. So, I decided to get a Titan tankless electric heater. I installed this in a NEMA class 4 waterproof enclosure, all suitably GFI protected and all that. So far that part all seems to be fine.

For the shower mixer, I got a display model Price Pfister from Lowes off the "clearance table" for $10. My problem is that the water just doesn't get hot enough. I don't think it's the water heater - the Titan I bought was a large one, for full house use (I bought this because I got it brand new for cheap on eBay). The reason I don't think it's a water heater problem is that I also installed a foot shower - a second head down low just for rinsing off feet before getting into the tub. I run this head off of the port on the mixer that normally connects to the tub spout, and turn it off with a small valve in the line. This foot shower head seems to get quite a bit warmer. I think the problem is the anti-scald feature in the mixer. Is there some easy way to adjust or turn off that feature? Unfortunately I didn't get any documentation with the mixer.

If not, I guess I'll ditch the mixer and use separate valves for hot and cold.

Thanks again!

Andy

Go spend $85 on a Delta Monitor Valve and do it right. Money shouldn't be an issue because that electric tankless is very expensive to operate.

A Price Pfister faucet had me double tripping today, what a surprise.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the good info. I took off the handle and fascia and found the adjustment - just as you suggested, it's a little plastic insert that can be in several positions, and controls the handle travel. Bad news is, it was all the way to the hot side already! I think I found a solution, though. As I mentioned, I have a small valve in the line to the foot shower. I didn't mention that I also have a small valve in the line to the main shower head, which is a hand-held type on flex hose. Well, with the foot shower head turned "off", I tried turned that main shower head valve to reduce the flow - not much, maybe 10 or 15% - and the water got hot. Really hot. Opened it up again and water temp returned to "barely warm".... tried it again, same result. I have never looked inside this thing to see how the anti-scald gizmo works but apparently a little back pressure seems to correct whatever the issue is. I still think it's a malfunction but I'm just gonna run it this way for a while and see what happens.

Regarding the cost of operating this contraption, you're right. The current draw rating is 54 amps at 220VAC. Ouch! In California our electric rates are a bit high, I think one might go broke trying to run a house on one of these things. In my application, though, it runs for maybe 3-5 minutes (usually just a couple of us using the hot tub) 2 or 3 times a week. So with that light usage you never notice it in your utility bill.

Thanks again for all the help! Great of you to spend your time helping folks out. You're gentlemen & scholars!

-Andy

Comment

Working...
          X