X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closet/Urinal Augers

I work in a large office building that is 27 years old.
    Yesterday we had a clog in one of our restrooms.
    There are 5 wall hung toliets and 4 of the 5 were clogged.
    Problem was a clog between the 1st and 2nd toliet in the wall drain.
    We tried using a closet auger (I think 3') but it didn't reach the clog.
    I see they sell a 6' model that should help us in the future.
    We had to pull the toilet and then I could reach the clog with the 3' auger but the 4 clogged toilets all drained out onto the floor doing so.
    Do you think trying a 6' auger is the route to go instead of pulling the toilet and having the remaining 4 toilets drain onto the floor?

We also have wall urinal's that are starting to drain slowly.
    When we pull one off the wall to see what the problem might be we discover a heavey build up of minerals in the urinals drain/trap.
    Any thoughts on how to remove and treat these drains?
    I do see a urinal auger available on some web sites.

Re: Closet/Urinal Augers

The bulb head on a closet auger isn't very big. Typically meant for soft stoppages. With so many toilets in such a close proximity I would be careful when using a 6' auger, making sure it doesn't turn in a direction you don't want. Another solution would be to use a wet vac to remove the water from the toilets before pulling. This saves quite a bit of mess. I have never had any luck with a urinal auger, best to just pull the urinal if it is an enclosed trapway, or just remove the trap if it is accessible.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Toilets:Figure out where the main drops through the floor or which way it heads and you need a proper sized SNAKE to open this up.

Urinals:Pretty much the same.Cut them loose from the wall,set them gently on the floor,
      *snake* the line and scrap all the urinal cheese loose from the fixture.

*******OR*********
      Hire a drain cleaner and they will have you fixed right up and you stay nice and clean.
      Good luck.

Comment

Devine Plumbing,
        I see what you mean about the bulb being small.
        I looked at them on the web.
        The auger we do have (a 3' model) has a drop head.
        It works and I think it would catch more debirs if it can reach it.
        We buy most of our equpment through Grainer and the only one I see them sell is the bulb model. Rigid does make both models though.
        Seems to me most of our blockages are soft material.
        It also seems to me that the drop head might have a better chance of getting caught/hooked up if it went the wrong way.
        Should I inquire about them getting the drop head model for us to buy?
        Your thoughts????

Wet vac is a good idea. Thanks...
        At least our floors are tiled and have a floor drain. Plus we have a Janitorial staff to help out with clean up.

Jay Mpls,
        As far as finding the main, this is a 4 story office building.
        They did not cut access panels to the chaseway behind the toilets/urinals and all the other piping is 10' in the air above the ceiling.
        It would be a last resort to snake coming from that end but only an option, I guess, if need be.

Grainger and Rigid don't sell/make a urinal auger but I did some on web sites.
        This does make me believe they might not be too effective.
        You are right about the urinal cheese.
        It's hard and it seems the only way to remove is take it off the way and start chiseling.

Comment

I have always used the K-3 closet auger. Like you, I worried that the drop head would have a better chance of catching on something it wasn't supposed to. I am under the impression that if it is something that a K-3 cannot reach I would call in a professional. If it is making it through the toilet, but getting caught further down the drain line then there is a problem, considering the waste line is 4+ inches in diameter and the toilet probably has a 2 - 3" diameter discharge at most.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            I have always used the K-3 closet auger. Like you, I worried that the drop head would have a better chance of catching on something it wasn't supposed to. I am under the impression that if it is something that a K-3 cannot reach I would call in a professional. If it is making it through the toilet, but getting caught further down the drain line then there is a problem, considering the waste line is 4+ inches in diameter and the toilet probably has a 2 - 3" diameter discharge at most.

Most water closet waste lines are 3" and it is not unusual to have a soft stoppage in the closet arm. When you consider you may have 2-feet to get through the water closet and up to another 6-feet in a 3" trap arm a 6' auger is worth owning.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't have 35 years experience, but in my 15 I have never seen one closet arm plugged, not even those that were slightly backpitched. However, a 6' might be a good investment.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys.
                I'm not a plumber but I have been in this 250,000 sq. ft. office building as a maintenance guy for 26 years. I have seen a lot of what this buildings quirks are.
                As far as closet arm I'm not sure what that is. I'm guessing it's the piece going from the back of the toilet to the main waste line.
                In any case the clog we just had had to be in the horizontal waste line between the 1st and 2nd toilet.
                After we pulled the toilet off the wall all I did was put the 3' auger in the wall waste pipe and then I could reach the clog.
                I'm guessing with the toliet on the wall the 3' auger was just short of the clog.
                A 6' er is being ordered.
                Probably will be years until the next clog now that have one.

Do you think one of the air pressure de-cloggers would have worked and are they worth the investment?
                I have never used one but saw them on some web sites looking for a 6' auger.

Comment

Air rams will be sucsessful on the same theory as plunging.You need a good vacuum.
                  You will have some venting that will negate that.I would pull a toilet and snake and be done with it.You have a minor log/paper jam.
                  Pull the toilet nearest the one that works it will be next to the drop (sanitary cross)
                  You will likely have to snake a short bit and your in!

Comment

Working...
                  X