X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point wells

I got a call tonight for a frozen (questionable) water main.
    Appt made for 12 tomorrow.
    While giving directions she tells me it's the FIRST tar paper trailer on the left. Should be a gem. She owns the trailer and rents the lot.
    Land Lord owns from the back flow valve to the well. She is responsible for the rest.
    Then she informs me it's a point well, that the LL installed in September.
    I think it has more to do with the well then on her end as she claims she has heat tape on her piping.

Anyway, to make a long question short. Are point wells even legal for human consumption anymore?
    I can see maybe at a camp when the HO installs, but a LL installing for a tenant at a year round home (tar paper shack)???

Another thing: Ever hear of a back flow valve on a point well?
    I thought the whole POINT (extra points for the PUN) behind a point well is the ground water is so high you can pretty much just suck it right out. of the ground.

A few years ago I did a job that had a point well (slow water flow). Turned out to be all the screens and faucets clogged with crap. While cleaning things The HO was talking with her friend about her son having so many medical problems and her not do so well either. She had a point well. She lived at the bottom of a valley.
    I pointed out to her that anything that gets dumped in those hills will end up in these flats and in her water. I also pointed out the corn field not more then 100' feet away and asked her what they spread on it for fertilizer. She says "they come with a big truck and this brown liquid squirts up in the air and falls on the field".
    Two weeks later I drove by and her trailer was gone.
    I suspect this is the same LL as it is in the same area.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Point wells

I've seen a few auger bored or hand dug wells here. Is that what you mean? About 3' across with rocks lining the walls?

A footvalve or checkvalve can be on the pump.

Or am I lost as to what a "point well" is?

J.C.

Comment

A point well is pretty much just like a grade stake but it's a pipe instead of wood. 2" or 3" ID???
      Pound it into the ground as far as it will go (3', 4', 5') and you kind of have a well.
      I'm pretty sure everyone stopped using them about the same time we stopped using hand pumps.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Comment

Gotcha. They do similar things at the coast here with shallow wells. Real shallow with the water table. The ones I saw weren't used for potable water but only for irrigation.

J.C.

Comment

well point is a heavy metal point and screen that is attached to a pipe and driven into the ground to make a well, normally with a jet pump on them, as largest I have seen is for 2 inch pipe.
            http://hydrology1.nmsu.edu/hydrology/wellpoint2.htm

http://hydrology1.nmsu.edu/hydrology/wellpoint.htm
            picture of one
            http://www.amazon.com/Water-Source-W.../dp/B000VR9YRC
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X